Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Car help

(7 Posts)
traveller1981 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:50:29

I have a small and rather inconsequential dilemma regarding cars and the imminent birth of our first child.
So, a bit of background, I have a 5 door golf and my partner has a 5 door polo. I've been thinking of changing my car for a 3 series, and really like the 320Cd model, but am thinking the 2 door could be a burden, so was hoping for some real life experience from some of you dads out there.
Basically the baby seat will be in the polo for the majority of the time, and I reckon we will only really use mine for longer tips (distance and/or duration). Should I really be bothered about the 2 door aspect if I'm not expecting to use my car all that often with the baby, or am I greatly under estimating how much we will use the bigger car?
I'll be using mine to commute all week, so it wont be used then, therefore, that leaves just the weekend that it may be used.

Is it stupid to consider a 2 door when I already have a 5 door, or is it no real issue?

COCKadoodledooo Wed 20-Jul-11 19:15:04

Am not a dad but didn't want to see your post go unanswered! I have a 2 door and tbh I find it much easier to get the dcs strapped in their seats in that than in dh's 5 door. Actually installing the seat is a bit more of a challenge but it's not something we have to do often.

traveller1981 Thu 21-Jul-11 09:00:51

Thanks for your reply.
Do you just put the kids in their seats, or do the seats get taken in and out (as in a newborn travel system carseat)?
My only real concern at the moment is taking a carseat in and out and clipping into the isofix base.

curlykate99 Sun 24-Jul-11 14:16:01

I have a 3 door with an infant seat, its no problem really as long as you have an isofix base - just check that the front seat slides forward far enough to fit the seat through. I use my knee to push the release button and can click the seat in&out without even bending down/putting my body through the door IYSWIM.

It would be a problem if you have to faff about with seatbelts tho.

traveller1981 Tue 26-Jul-11 09:01:49

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about not putting your body through the door.
I think it will fine with a 2 door, just a bit more faff than a 4/5 door. We have bought an isofix child seat so that should help things too.

Thanks again.

Alix81 Mon 01-Aug-11 12:50:24

My husband has a 2 door astra and we have coped for 4 years putting the car seat in the back.. yea it is a bit more awkward than my 4 door but isn't difficult.

traveller1981 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:16:41

Cool - will get back to the looking at the 3 series coupes then I think. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now