Talk

Advanced search

I thought a perk of having children is they can make you a cup of tea

(18 Posts)
Truckrelented Sat 16-Jul-11 09:31:49

Now my daughter has just started having an occasional cup of tea.

I've no idea if this breaks some MN code (fruit shoots, and Greggs) and I don't really care.

But my Dad used to get us to make his tea, my daughter says I make the best tea in the world, so I always end up making it.

Now I'm not very good at intuition etc. but I reckon I'm being manipulated.
I think she'll go far.

RuthChan Sat 16-Jul-11 20:52:36

Yes, I'm with you on that one.
I spent my childhood making cups of tea and coffee for my parents too, despite never drinking the stuff myself.
I think she should be making them for you rather than the other way round.
Her manipulation skills are obviously developing well!! grin

Truckrelented Sat 16-Jul-11 21:04:14

Ah, but I make a nicer cup of tea apparently.

And is always followed by:

'And as you're in the kitchen can you bring the biscuits in please?'

I'm very proud of her.

surfandturf Sat 16-Jul-11 21:07:26

I used to make my parents brews all the time - can't wait till my DC's are old enough to boil the kettle grin

Truckrelented Sat 16-Jul-11 21:09:32

I'm expecting for my daughter to quote me a health and safety guideline that stops her from making the tea.

bigbuttons Sat 16-Jul-11 21:09:42

My 6 all drink tea and many of them make a really decent cuppa. My 5 year old is just starting to make tea, she's really rather good! I actually told them today that I'd only had them so that i'd got someone to make me teawink

GingerbreadDad Sat 16-Jul-11 21:13:07

I am shocked and horrified that you allow your children to handle hot water.......A cold can of beer that's safe wink

TrillianAstra Sat 16-Jul-11 21:14:51

I make a nicer cup of tea apparently.

She won't get any better at making tea if she doesn't practise!

Truckrelented Sat 16-Jul-11 21:27:01

I don't drink beer when my children are here. I'm a good boy.

I was just impressed at her tender years that she'd already learnt (or learning) how to wrap me round her little finger.

Actually, I've just realized that she says my porridge is nicer as well, and sandwiches.

Well I'll placate myself that I'm making sure she isn't going to be anyone's dogs-body.

edam Sat 16-Jul-11 21:51:25

Yeah yeah yeah, all that 'you make such a lovely cup of tea' stuff is what my Mother used to tell me. When I was too young and innocent to realise she was exploiting me. grin And I had a family friend who always had me on washing up duty. She was very houseproud, even ironed her dh's and sons' underpants, but for some reason always had pots in the sink (at least, there were always pots in the sink when I went round, there may be some element of planning there now I think of it) and I just couldn't bear dirty dishes, had to get them done.

Can't wait until ds is old enough to handle the kettle - at nearly eight I still don't think he's tall enough but it won't be long, surely?

Truckrelented Sat 16-Jul-11 22:22:46

I don't mind really, I just think it's quite funny.

edam Sun 17-Jul-11 00:23:19

yeah, I know, it is sweet. But IMO it'd be even cuter if it were ds making ME the tea. grin

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 17-Jul-11 00:27:15

There is a very narrow window of opportunity when your children deeply desire to be considered old enough and use the kettle to make you endless cups of tea on demand.

It is about 3 weeks when they are 9.

DD is 15 now and deliberately puts too much milk on so I never ask her to make me tea grin

edam Sun 17-Jul-11 00:28:24

ha, getorf, your dd is smarter than me, I believed all that 'you make the nicest cup of tea' thing until well after I'd left home.

qo Sun 17-Jul-11 00:33:51

"It is about 3 weeks when they are 9." - grin absolutely spot on!

It's the same as when you first start letting them go to the shop for bits. To start with they ask 10 times a day if you need anything from the shop - make the most of this period, as soon they'll be looking at you like you've asked them to eat a lump of poison if you ever dare pluck up the courage to ask them to go!

madhattershouse Sun 17-Jul-11 00:38:05

My ds is 11 and makes a mean cup of lovely strong tea. My step-d is 22 and still makes tea that looks like dishwater..grin It wouldn't be an issue but in the 2 weeks she is here a year she offers to make them constantly, she is a tea fiend, but they are undrinkable!

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 17-Jul-11 00:40:33

Same as when they learn to cook - dd LOVED the responsibilty initially when I tasked her with making the family dinner one night a week. We got gourmet grub for a good while, then she started viewing it as a boring chore, and we get something deeply boring like pasta pesto, or jacket potato and cheese now grin

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 17-Jul-11 00:41:37

Or 'I can't make dinner tonight mum, have got revision' knowing that I will never question that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now