Talk

Advanced search

Advice for relatively new cyclist please.

(3 Posts)
Jacq217 Mon 07-Oct-19 19:47:32

Back in June I got back in the saddle for the first time since I was a teenager (I'm 42). DH bought me a new MTB as had been getting over some shoulder problems and needed some suspension on the front. We were planning a lot of off-road cycling on holiday and a MTB seemed like the best option at the time.

Fast forward to now and I am loving my cycling. I cycle every day, albeit no more than 12-13 miles each ride in our local area as well as a lot of 2-3 mile commuting.

However I am in need of a challenge. In hindsight maybe I should have gone for a road bike as can't afford that now and have been offered a charity space for RideLondon 46 mile next August. I have talked with local bike shop who say they can fit slicks to my MTB but even so am I being unrealistic to be considering this type of event?

prettybird Fri 11-Oct-19 09:37:04

Not done Ride London but my parents did a lot of long distance cycling on their (in effect) mountain bikes with slicks. They were as light as they could be (custom built with excellent front shocks and could be spilt in two to go into bike bags for flying).

Their cycle trips didn't have the time pressure of Ride London though.

You have plenty of time to ramp up your cycling to be ready for Ride London

BackOnceAgainWithABurnerEmail Fri 11-Oct-19 09:39:55

Are you worried about your speed? If not you’ll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »