Talk

Advanced search

My daughter finds her saddle uncomfortable - do I buy a new saddle or gel-filled cover?

(8 Posts)
Johnb0y Sat 10-Mar-18 16:49:23

My daughter has just inherited a boardman bike from her older brother but finds the saddle uncomfortable.
Do I buy a new saddle or has anybody bought those gel filled covers you fit over the saddle?
Thanks

youmadethatup Sat 10-Mar-18 17:07:28

I think I read that some of the covers aren't waterproof, which could be a pain.

Is it a unisex seat? If it is a boys seat she will find a girls much more comfy.

I would get her to try them out. Is it the size of the seat or the hardness that is the problem. The gel cover goes on top and so makes the seat slightly bigger.

youmadethatup Sat 10-Mar-18 17:09:04

Meant to say, boy's saddles are usually longer and narrower, girl’s are shorter and wider.

Johnb0y Sat 10-Mar-18 17:31:04

I think it's probably a boys saddle.

TheLongRider Fri 16-Mar-18 16:33:05

I ride on a "male" saddle without any problems. Adding a gel cover will make it wider and squishier and may cause more chafing.

How far does she have to go on the bike? Does she wear normal clothes or cycling specific clothing?

Selle Italia make good women's saddles.

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Mar-18 16:38:11

I have a Selle womens saddle, and its much more comfortable than a mans saddle for me.
Padded shorts are a must for me too

DamnCommandments Fri 16-Mar-18 16:39:11

I can ride on a men's saddle, but I need it tipped forward compared to the position DH would choose. Have you tried moving the saddle?

hollybarfoot Mon 11-Jun-18 09:50:04

If she's going to be doing a lot of riding then I would suggest getting a new saddle for her and shes much more likely to be getting about and about on her bike if it is comfy. How old is she because maybe you could get an women's saddle. This is the one I have and it is really comfy and lasted for ages www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specialized-dolce-gel-womens-saddle-27317-0037.html.
If she is going to be riding a lot I would suggest getting her a saddle fitted to her from your local bike shop, most of them will do it for free and help you find the perfect one.

Hope this is helpful,
Holly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: