Talk

Advanced search

Choosing first womens mountain bike

(6 Posts)
GardenGeek Fri 10-Nov-17 18:26:37

I haven't cycled much for years and have never bought a bike so need some help to buy a tough women's mountain bike for beginners

DP and I like going on long walks and thought bikes might be fun. We usually go to woods, tarmac tracks, tow paths, bridleways, fields etc.

I recently found the Marin Wildcat 3 online (the green and black one attached) which looks beautiful, I just love the colours. Its so shallow but my heart wants it.

I also saw the Giant/Liv Tempt 3 in person; it is the same price and it looks really sturdy and with grippy wheels which I need; and about what I imagine the proportions of my bike should be like.

Any tips on what I should be looking for would be really appreciated, or if you have a Marin or Giant/ Liv, or if you just go on random bike rides or mountain bike it would be great to hear your experiences.

Thanks

FlaviaAlbia Fri 10-Nov-17 19:32:49

I really wouldn't buy a first bike online without trying it first, you could regret it so much if the size is a bit off and it's uncomfortable to ride. Been there, done that smile

I have a Liv cross bike, which I love. If you find it comfy and the price is good for you, I'd say you can't go wrong really. Maybe try a few others just to compare? The specs on it are good.

Tiggles Fri 10-Nov-17 22:52:22

I have a giant liv road bike that I love, cost about £1000 but worth every penny. If their MTB is as good then it will be great!
MTB wise I have an orange diva frame which I kitted out with high spec components. It is a brilliant bike, fits me perfectly and I love it to bits.
I personally wouldn't buy a bike without actually trying it out first. When I went to get my road bike the one I liked the look of didn't actually fit me as a person even though it was apparently the same size as the giant bike. The saddle wasn't quite right, the stem (to hold the handlebars to the forks) wasn't quite right etc.
In general I recommend you go for the bike with the best frame that you can afford, as you can then upgrade the components (e.g. to make them lighter) if you want to at a later date. Whereas if you don't have a good frame then you would have to buy a completely new bike if that makes sense.
With a quick look at the two bike specs I think the quality of components on the Liv are slightly better than on the Wildcat - e.g. they have shimano deore derailleurs whereas the wildcat are altus. The Liv has shimano brakes whereas the wildcat are tektro.

GardenGeek Sat 11-Nov-17 11:49:50

Thanks for your replies!

It seems the Giant salesman wasn't having me on then grin It really is a better spec bike. It did look very high quality.

I never actually went on the Giant bike in the store. I will need to go back to try it out and hopefully find a Marin one nearby to try too.

If I haven't ridden much really, so how will I know if the fit is quite 'right' IYSWIM. Does the shop assistants help you make that judgement or do you have things you look out for?

FlaviaAlbia Sat 11-Nov-17 12:53:30

Try a few sizes and try to think what the reach will be like after you've been cycling for a time, if you're straining just a little it'll hurt after a while..

Some bike shops are better than others, a small local bike shop will generally have more experience in fitting than people in say, Halfords. Never buy a bike from Halfords or let them service one for you!

GardenGeek Sun 12-Nov-17 18:57:03

Thanks Flavia grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now