Talk

Advanced search

Lakes and Dales Loop

(11 Posts)
Cooroo Mon 15-May-17 20:24:17

I've just ridden this and think it needs publicising! 196 miles, we did it over 3 days.
Start and finish in Penrith, and it goes round the Lake District and through western Dales.

I found it a tough ride, but I'm a slow rider who just keeps going! We were lucky with the weather and riding along tiny quiet lanes with wild flowers and amazing scenery was wonderful.

Serious climbs on day 2! But I rode every inch and felt proud.

We used CycleActive who booked all the accommodation and transported luggage.

Anyone else done it?

BarchesterFlowers Tue 16-May-17 07:31:14

Looks lovely, my part of the country and I hadn't heard of it so thanks.

What is this luggage you speak of 😂.

We do our own thing with varying numbers of panniers, tent, hostel or hotel etc. so don't need support but am pleased to learn of the ride.

Well done 🏆🏆.

Cooroo Tue 16-May-17 18:47:48

Hi Barchester!
I've done other rides with panniers on bike, and admire your purist approach! I had evening wear (jeans and shirt), 3 pairs shorts, 2 of long tights, 3 shirts, energy drink, spare bars etc in my luggage and I was very glad not to carry it up Berker Fell!
Do post if and when you do the ride, I'd love to hear about other people's experiences.
I Recommend May/June for weather, wild flowers and long days.

BarchesterFlowers Tue 16-May-17 18:57:07

I will, we are cycling up the North Yorkshire coast at the end of this week (only two days), need to decide where to start from, cycling to an unknown campsite that is near a pub grin, must look for a campsite next to a pub. Found one at a pub but alas, no showers. I do not want to sleep in a tent with a cycling DH who has not had a shower.

We can get to Penrith in just under 90 mins so I reckon we will do a bit of it this year if not more.

Cooroo Thu 18-May-17 06:19:11

BarchesterTowers I've just realised you are on the instrument players thread too! Waves! And I thought I was the only mathematically inclined pianist/cyclist with a Trollope passion.

Cooroo Thu 18-May-17 06:19:34

Flowers sorry!

BarchesterFlowers Thu 18-May-17 08:31:34

grin, I am, although I haven't been on there for a couple of weeks too much work for music!

We have had a change of plan and are going to the lakes instead, heave rain ☔️ at the coast tomorrow, dry and cold in the lakes so we are going west instead.

DH is planning a route while I go for a quick Drs appointment. Then we will be off.

BarchesterFlowers Thu 18-May-17 08:32:10

Heavy not heave!

Cooroo Thu 18-May-17 19:00:24

I guess you're already on your way, but have fun!

BarchesterFlowers Fri 19-May-17 16:10:52

It was lovely Cooroo. Down to 3 degrees though last night. We didn't do too many big hills. My blood test results explained why I am getting out of breath! And I resorted to pushing it up two.

Cooroo Fri 19-May-17 23:08:28

I will be out on Sunday testing my legs. Am hoping the Loop has made me super fit. Usually the only people I overtake are small children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now