Talk

Advanced search

The Sprocket & Cog Café- off-topic chat

(16 Posts)
TheLongRider Tue 02-May-17 10:51:44

Welcome to the Sprocket & Cog Café, a place to pull up a virtual chair, check out the cake menu and discuss the finer things in life. cake brew

BarchesterFlowers Tue 02-May-17 15:56:31

🚲🚲🚲 very good job 👏.

Not a massive cake fan but it takes the promise of eggs Royale and coffee to get me up some of the hills on a Sunday morning.

TheLongRider Tue 02-May-17 16:05:30

I was eating a large 99 in the sunshine yesterday with 80 miles in my legs and another 45 to go home. It was well deserved!

DoctorTwo Tue 02-May-17 16:20:17

I'll have one of them rhubarb and custard Danish pastry things from the M&Ss. They're lush.

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-May-17 16:26:07

Hello! Nice idea for a thread smile

I must admit that these days I'm more into watching cycling on TV than pushing the pedals myself, but I am married to a lovely MAMIL who disappears off on his bike several times a week. He does encourage me to come too, but he goes much too fast for me and I don't want to cramp his style.

I'd love a cappuccino and a slice of lemon drizzle cake please.

bike

Mumski45 Tue 02-May-17 20:00:26

Cup of tea and anything gluten free please. Carrot cake preferred but if all you have is a chocolate brownie then that will do.

The more calories the better just to get me up the next hill.

On the other hand after today's ride in glorious sunshine an ice cream might be nice. 😀

Mumski45 Tue 02-May-17 20:06:01

Wow that is a long ride thelongrider. I'm hoping to do 100m some time this year but not been over 72 ish yet. Problem is finding someone to join me and then being able to find the time when we can both have a weekend day off from the kids and also get some long rides in leading up to it.
What do you think is a minimum distance to do before attempting a long ride like that. I was thinking maybe getting above 80 in the few weeks leading up to it but as I usually cycle on school days and avoid long rides at the weekend this might be tricky.

BarchesterFlowers Tue 02-May-17 20:35:17

I had a long day at work today but Woman's Hour was about women and bikes, no idea of content - I will listen to it later on.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08njtjj

TheLongRider Tue 02-May-17 23:01:59

The rule of thumb for long rides is if you can ride three-quarters of the total distance you'll be fine for the full course.

I did my ride solo with just a set of earphones and the radio for company. I do ride with others but most of my rides are solo. I had birdsong and butterflies during the ride and nasty northerly headwind for the last 40 miles and a bit of climbing.

My husband cycles too and we have a child, so we get a day each at the weekend. It does mean that you have to be selfish to get the time to ride but it goes both ways. We rarely get to ride together.

TheLongRider Tue 02-May-17 23:03:27

Ooh, I will be listening to that Women's Hour podcast too. Apparently it had a section on "vulval health".

BarchesterFlowers Wed 03-May-17 06:20:41

I listened and thought it lacked depth generally, honestly, asking the consultant dermatologist from Addenbrookes who had advised the Olympic team what term she used to refer to her undercarriage ...... surprise, surprise Vulva!

Apparently not waxing, shaving, etc., etc.. is good for vulval health which is good news for someone like me, interesting that all that faff is considered the norm, not in my lazy life.

The bit on maintenance too. I can maintain my own bike even though my husband builds our bikes and I don't really need to.

You must be v dedicated TheLongRider. I would get bored, assuming I was still alive that is grin.

TheLongRider Wed 03-May-17 07:18:00

It's not boring if you're a nosey bugger like me. You get to look at houses and fields and mountains. You're thinking about the next climb or your next break or if you'll miss that raincloud!

I live in Dublin, Ireland and I have everything from mountains to bogland within 20 miles of my house. I could be cycling past thatched cottages or council estates. It's a great way to see the country and you can always stop to take a photo.

We're a chatty nation and you'll get talking to people when you stop.

Mumski45 Wed 03-May-17 08:31:54

I also don't find long rides boring. I think when you have a family at home that are constantly demanding your attention for something it's good to be able to switch off and not have anyone disturb you. I rarely answer my phone if I'm out and that ability to switch off and think only about your next breath or where the next hill is can be refreshing and I come home feeling ready for the onslaught to start again.
Thelongrider it sounds like I just need to do one more longer ride then before I try 100 and get above 70.

No cycling today unfortunately as I'm at work. Hoping to get out for a longish one tomorrow with a friend. She likes hills though so could be a tough one. smile

TheLongRider Wed 03-May-17 09:40:26

I found a couple of articles in the Guardian on vulval health. www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/aug/14/how-female-cyclists-can-combat-saddle-soreness

www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/15/team-gb-cycling-saddle-sore-medals

Both articles cover the same ground. I'd like to see the actual research results.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 03-May-17 19:17:35

I clearly have a short attention span, my longest ride in one go is 48 miles and I was bored. DH was with me or I would have turned for home sooner. DD is nearly 11, most of our rides are family rides of 25-30 miles, I love it, just right for me.

Having had the winter off I hate the traffic again.

Steve Hogg makes sense on the subject of fit/discomfort.

www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sensitive_issues.pdf

www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/more_sensitive_issues.pdf

FlaviaAlbia Thu 18-May-17 15:34:32

I can't belive I missed this thread so far!

I love long rides, I love having a nosy at nice houses I pass plus there's no small people trying to crawl up your leg. Bliss.

Plus I think I've found a cafe with the best scones on earth but I'm happy to continue testing others for the sake of science.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now