Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tour de Yorkshire

(23 Posts)
EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 29-Apr-17 13:52:27

Anyone else watching? Just in between races here at the moment.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 29-Apr-17 14:00:49

We went to Masham earlier to watch the women at 11am. Well, I go there most Saturdays to buy my fruit and veg at the market to be honest.

We will go somewhere to watch the mens race, Pateley Bridge if we leave now, otherwise Ripon or Harrogate a bit later on when we will stay out for a while - bit of a festival going on.

Are you on the route? We live in the middle of it so can choose where to go as long as we get the timing right.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 29-Apr-17 14:55:31

Yes that's Lizzie whizzing through our village! So just walking, we watched on telly to see when they were getting close then nipped out.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 29-Apr-17 18:02:16

Did you go out again? I got distracted by gardening and didn't bother, watched some of it on TV, only the bits near my house though 😀. The countryside looks so beautiful this time of year.

Very lucky with the weather after two days of snow apand freezing temps with the gritters out a couple of days ago.

Pleased we went to see the women's race though because the crowds were fairly sparse this morning.

The route goes very close to my parents house so I could end up seeing day 3!

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 29-Apr-17 23:34:10

Yup, we did - really good atmosphere. It was pretty busy here this morning too. Went past my parents' house yesterday but didn't go as we had school and work.

We got back just in time to watch the end - glad we didn't attempt to get to Harrogate as it was packed!

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Apr-17 23:38:13

Go Lizzie!
We're off to friends in Hade Edge tommorow. TdY goes right passed their house! Trying to persuade ds(8) that he could ride up. It's only 6 or 7 miles, but a little on the hilly side.wink

BarchesterFlowers Sun 30-Apr-17 06:38:11

It was the parking that put us off! Ripon and Harrogate were heaving.

It is near my parents house at 1:15 ish .... nicely before lunch.

Great to see the effort made everywhere.

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 13:06:25

It is passing within a couple of miles of us, so I will cycle over to watch it this afternoon. The local towns and villages have really gone to town with bunting, blue and yellow bikes and the Yorkshire Rose flags.

vickibee Sun 30-Apr-17 13:09:37

Right past our house in penistone, our road is shut off we are prisoners in our home.

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 13:11:18

I am near you vicki. I was in Penistone yesterday and saw all the decorations.

vickibee Sun 30-Apr-17 13:13:18

Yes everyone is bike crazy, am watching on tv and it really does make Yorkshire look beautiful, you don't appreciate what's on your doorstep

Hoppinggreen Sun 30-Apr-17 13:18:12

We are heading out to watch soon. It's coming past a town near us at 3

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 13:19:20

That's because Yorkshire is beautiful. I am not Yorkshire born and bred, but chose to live here and love it.

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 13:24:16

Just watching it now. The weather is a bit better here than where they are now.

NoelHeadbands Sun 30-Apr-17 13:55:25

Currently camped in a nice cosy pub waiting, they are due near here in about an hour.

I love it

Mumski45 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:45:12

Thank you to anyone locally who made the effort to come out and support the amateur riders this morning. I was riding it and it was wonderful to have so much support along the way. And the finish line - what can I say it is such an incredible experience. I love the TdY, may have to make it an annual event.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 30-Apr-17 17:00:14

Well done Mumski45, that is lovely of you. You weren't in my neck of the woods so I wasn't where you are.

So many places make a festival of it it is fab.

DH is going to do it next year.

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 18:01:29

It came and went so quickly. Fortunately I have some great footage. Unfortunately I came off my bike on my way home and am now sat nursing my knee with an ice pack.

DoctorTwo Sun 30-Apr-17 18:59:26

Only realised this was on when channel hopping earlier. Just watched the last 60km on +1 and wow, what a race. The people of Yorkshire all turned up too. The crowd at the top of Cote de Ewden Heights was incredible. I loved every minute of what I saw, but my favourite thing was that they used the French terms.

Next up is the Giro, isn't it?

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Apr-17 18:59:40

What a fantastic finish!!!!

And quite a few of my cycling club in the crowds around Holmfirth and Penistone. My DC were well chuffed to see "their" jersey on TV!

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Apr-17 19:01:10

I love that our local hills are now all "Cote"! We cheered the Sportive riders on "Cote de Emley" on our way to swimming this morning.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 30-Apr-17 20:34:10

I just think it is so fantastic that everyone enthuses about it and comes out to support it. Last year we watched from Pateley and then Helmsley. This year Masham and south of Grassington.

I don't care much for that sort of cycling and would prefer to be there to cheer on the amateurs and the women but I love the event.

DH, now fully committed grin, as in I have told the charities, will be raising money for two local organisations for disabled children. He has agreed to do the 100km, but he rides 40km in the hills before I get out of bed at the weekends once the days lengthen so it won't be a big deal for him.

Greenhow Hill is our local hill and one we struggle to avoid.

The creation of the Yorkshire cycling charity is just one of the good things that comes out of it.

Iamastonished Sun 30-Apr-17 21:03:53

It felt weird seeing the cyclists on roads that I know like the back of my hand. I am really miffed that ITV went on an advert break on the section that we watched live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now