Advanced search

Best cycle insurance for public liability?

(10 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 17-Mar-17 19:18:16

Just that really.

With car insurance I tend to go for the lowest price. Is it the same for bikes?

witchmountain Sat 18-Mar-17 08:50:47

If you literally only want it for public liability then I guess so - maybe just compare the policy wielding for what circumstances they would pay out under. Also check there is nothing on your household insurance policy that wouldn't already cover you - sometimes they have unexpected add-ons included.

Janek Sat 18-Mar-17 09:03:46

membership of the CTC (might be called British Cycling now) gives you 'free' third party insurance - would that be any good?

BarchesterFlowers Sat 18-Mar-17 09:07:54

CTC here too but check your home insurance policy, ours provides it.

LynetteScavo Mon 20-Mar-17 21:55:23

I think I will go with British Cycling for DS1.

Home insurance doesn't cover it atm....which insurers do?

Alli91 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:30:18

What's the reason that you want to have liability insurance? Do you ride a lot or take a part in competitions? If I was to pop out for a bike ride and crash into your car, causing damage to the vehicle, it's highly likely that the public liability part of home contents insurance will cover you against any claim for accidental damage – but only if you're a cycling enthusiast as opposed to a serious hobbyist. But you can also take out third party insurance to protect against collisions where you injure someone else or damage their property and some insurance companies offer third party insurance as part of their theft insurance policy.
Personally I'm poor in cycling, I don't have such insurance. But my sister in California is a professional biker and she even won a race one time. She has such insurance in It costs her a lot but she really needs it.

lljkk Fri 31-Mar-17 14:46:33

I think members of "cycling UK" (was CTC) get insurance included in membership, can get whole family covered. For leisure not racing.

LynetteScavo Sat 08-Apr-17 10:06:01

I've gone with British Cycling for DS1 as he's over 18 I'm not convinced he'd be covered on house insurance...I need to renew house insurance, do they all have public liability included? confused

BarchesterFlowers Sat 08-Apr-17 19:48:37

CTC family membership is £70 a year.

We donate to the Cyclists Defence Fund since the rebranding of the CTC. I seem to remember that some sort of legal expenses cover was included in the old CTC but it isn't anymore. I think that the CDF funding has altered (in a bad way).

I am not sure how you would check which insurers offer third party liability cover without checking each one but it is worth considering a legal expenses extension if you do.

ivykaty44 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:06:04

If your keen on cycling I'd try British cycling, you get first pucks on tickets for events to and some other club membership deals

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: