Could you please recommend me a good bike light?

(5 Posts)
FrazzleRock Mon 24-Oct-16 11:04:03

I cycle down an unlit bridal path to and from the train station. I currently have a Cat Eye Opticube light but it is no way bright enough for that path.
I can just about see a couple of feet of path ahead of me.

I'm a complete cycling novice and have taken up cycling to the station because I'm too much of a wimp to walk the 15 minute creepy dark walk by myself.
What light do I need? I saw someone with a really bright light the other day which would have looked perfect. I don't know what it was though. I'm not looking to spend very much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

FrazzleRock Mon 24-Oct-16 16:29:09

Anyone? Or is this a very basic question that I can easily resolve by asking in a shop?
wink

Sadik Mon 24-Oct-16 16:44:31

Have you got the one with 3 LEDs or one? I use a cateye front light with 3 LEDs and find it fine for an unlit rough track so long as I point it slightly downwards so it illuminates the bumps. (I just tweak it back up once I reach the road to make sure I'm thoroughly visible.)

The ultra bright mtb lights are generally pretty expensive, that may be what you've seen? Bikeradar reviews are often helpful - you can usually search by price bands on the site.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Mon 24-Oct-16 18:17:20

My brightest light for riding to work is a Lezyne 800xl which is blinding (but it was about £60).

INeedNewShoes Mon 24-Oct-16 19:51:01

To get something bright you're looking at £60 minimum I would say. I spent £40 on a moon meteor a couple of years ago. It's just about fine for pitch black country roads but I wouldn't off road with it. I regret not spending another £20 and getting something really bright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now