Talk

Advanced search

Cyclists, recommendations for a women's deluge proof jacket?

(23 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Fri 21-Oct-16 13:29:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lljkk Fri 21-Oct-16 13:45:34

do you wash your jacket in non-bio deterg?

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 21-Oct-16 14:11:33

I have got that jacket and find it very waterproof. I only ever wash it in nixwax tech wash and I reproof it every now and then.

The best thing I have for rain wear is a carradice pro route cape. DH hates it - I wear it anyway.

I did buy a DHB rain jacket but returned it, flashlight highline or something like that. Looked fab and better than my altura one but I wanted something breathable and I wasn't sure that it was - looked like it would be waterproof forever though.

DH wears Showers pass and rates their stuff highly. I am too tight to buy SP grin.

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 21-Oct-16 17:44:53

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 21-Oct-16 19:43:58

DH's Showers pass jacket is very waterproof and very breathable Tea. But it was more than £200 from memory, a couple of years ago.

I get by with something that isn't particularly breathable, but when my Altura wears out (my stuff never seems to wear out) I will make sure I get something that is properly breathable.

noodlmcdoodl Fri 21-Oct-16 21:02:57

Castelli gabba. It's awesome. Not a waterproof jacket as you know it, a thermal, wind proof jersey which is designed to keep you warm and cozy in wet weather. Having always had gore bike wear jackets I was sceptical but wouldn't go back now. I can happily do a 4 hour ride in heavy rain and keep comfy. I also go out wearing it when wet weather isn't forecast as it's designed to be worn all the time rather than just put on for rain.

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 21-Oct-16 21:53:27

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 22-Oct-16 03:07:43

Awake coughing here sad, I would get the elite Tea, look at the ratings, the cheaper one could be anywhere from 3000 to 15000mm and the elite one at least 15000mm.

So potentially the first one could be 4000mm and the second one 16000mm which I presume is a massive difference in waterproofing terms.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 22-Oct-16 09:06:04

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 22-Oct-16 09:25:45

I feel grimmer (good word there) Tea. I have got lemon barley water in the pantry so I might try that. Currently on scalded lemons and honey. I will try a pinch of cloves, thanks.

I noticed their "sale items can only be exchanged" words, clearly not as the consumer contracts regs don't allow that - I think it must be because they are a US firm and the webpage spans both US and UK.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Oct-16 09:31:34

If I wasn't so tight/skint I'd get this Gore jacket, tgevfew things i'be had from Gore have been excellent and very long lasting.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 22-Oct-16 09:32:59

If you don't mind being a bit warm, get a Paramount jacket.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 22-Oct-16 09:33:19

Paramo that should say...

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 22-Oct-16 09:38:05

I have got a Gore phantom soft shell and element vest bike, I reckon they will outlast me.

I do think that you have to pay more than Altura money for proper breathable stuff. My Altura jacket is waterproof but I sweat like a pig inside despite their claims.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 22-Oct-16 14:39:23

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 22-Oct-16 20:10:18

I must get out more Tea - have only been to a T K Maxx twice (hate shopping). I hope you like it. Can only say that DH is completely won over by his and he does a lot of miles every week despite the weather.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Oct-16 20:28:00

formerly DH and I have both got Gore Phantom jackets which are 10+ years old and still going strong. DH's has had a lot more hammer than mine (he cycle commutes and hasn't had the best part of 8 pregnancy and child rearing yesrs off his bikes), but it still looks practically new. I just bought a Gore summer jersey from the Wiggle sale and the quality is excellent.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 22-Oct-16 22:24:31

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sun 23-Oct-16 12:55:27

Bike nice to hear because some of our stuff is so old, like DH's 20 year old shorts that I had to repair recently shock, not that he doesn't have others but we don't feel the need to bin much.

We had a conversation this morning about how fortunate he was to have retained his fitness all his life (50 and fitter than most 18 year olds). I was on a par for many years but like you other things got in the way.

I am slightly tempted by the jacket you bought Tea but have recently gone back to work full time and don't think I am doing enough cycling to justify it given that I have one that works.

Even though work is only six miles away there is often a reason not to cycle, regular late night meetings when I get home after 9pm, have to get back for school some nights etc., etc.. So complicated.

I am doing the Breeze ride training next week and hope to get a Sunday morning ride going. All the groups near me are doing rides that are longer and faster than I want to do. I couldn't think of any other way of doing it so I thought I would start my own!

ButtonLoon Sat 29-Oct-16 21:59:43

I want to hear all about the jacket! Did you get the lowdown on the returns policy in the UK? The Large should fit me but I'm nervous about not being able to properly return it if I don't like the fit.

EyeOfNewtForTeaPleaseLouise Sun 30-Oct-16 18:10:36

Hi Button! Sorry, I should have kept the thread updated blush

I got the coat, I really like it, its very light and has a ventilated bit across the shoulders so it'll good for me as I tend to get really warm. The sizing is generous and I could probably have got away with a medium but I like having a bit of room. I'm short and the arms are quite long on me but it has velcro at the wrists so it's not a problem.

It seems really well made, the zips are good, the seams are sealed and feel sturdy and the reflective bands are nice.

Unfortunately (!) it hasn't rained since I got it so I haven't been able to try it out. I found a review raving about the 2.1 version on road.cc before I bought it though.

I think I could fit it in a jersey pocket if it was double pockets, I don't think it would fit in one with treble pockets, or at least not easily.

It came with a returns bag so you can return it smile

The only thing is that the 2.0 is being superceded by the 2.1 and the stock is limited. I ran into problems ordering which was why I was talking to them directly. If you drop Fraser an email on fraser@showerspass.com he'll be able to tell you if there's stock left. He's really nice and replies pretty much instantly.

I'd definitely recommend the jacket smile

EyeOfNewtForTeaPleaseLouise Sun 30-Oct-16 18:11:33

Oh, I'm the OP under a Halloween Nc btw!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sun 30-Oct-16 18:20:12

Phew, I am pleased you like it in principle Tea, even if it hasn't rained.!

Let's hope for a bit of rain smile, mind you we have just cut our massive lawn and are hoping for a cold dry spell to stop it growing again this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now