Reccommendations please - a rear mounted seat for 1yr old

(14 Posts)
Starman16 Mon 15-Aug-16 15:40:43

I'm currently using a weeride for 10mth DS but looking to switch to a rear mounted seat in the next couple of months - does anyone have any recommendations? Nothing wildly expensive (although I love the look of the Yepp maxi - emphasis on the 'look', anyone know if it's actually any good?!)

Also are there any rear seats that allow for use of a pannier? I currently have one that just clips to the side of the rack. I will be taking DS to nursery then going on to the office so need to carry stuff...I see so many kiddies being smacked in the face by backpacks, surely there's a better way??

Starman16 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:18:13

Anyone?

Starman16 Mon 15-Aug-16 20:22:54

Ok one more bump then I'm giving up!

Treetopchallenger Mon 15-Aug-16 20:32:42

I haven't heard of either of those. A cheaper rear facing seat is the joie stages. I would get yourself down to a reputable car seat gutter though and try them out.

Treetopchallenger Mon 15-Aug-16 20:33:29

Gosh I'm dim today. It's for a bike lol isn't it! So sorry I'm talking about car seats!

CatherineDeB Wed 17-Aug-16 20:34:59

I don't think the cycling topic gets much traffic OP - hence no replies!

We had a Kettler Flipper as our first child seat post baby which was really good as we had two mounting things so could easily use it on different bikes. It reclined a bit which was useful.

I liked it because there was a channel for the legs and they were loosely strapped in.

I can't remember what we moved onto after that, we had an igo wee hoo and a bobike junior classic for in town once older but I reckon that there must have been a seat in between.

Bobike and Hamax are quite well thought of. I am not sure how they compare to the one you have mentioned.

If you look for a post mounted system you can probably still carry a bag with most of them but you will probably have to go to the manufacturer's webpage to glean that info.

CatherineDeB Wed 17-Aug-16 20:35:37

Sorry Tree - I meant no bike related replies grin!

Starman16 Wed 17-Aug-16 21:45:30

Thanks for venturing into the wilderness Catherine grin I figured this board was pretty dead but there was a thread the other week that was active so gave me false hope!

I've looked at the Bobike Maxi and like it but reviews seem to say it's quite heavy.

Hamax seems to be the go-to seat where I live but they seem a bit clunky to me and definitively don't allow for panniers. I think you're right about a seatpost mount, they look like I should be able to find a pannier to fit underneath.

signofthebellbird Wed 17-Aug-16 21:51:57

We have a Yepp maxi and it has been brilliant. Still using it with nearly four year old DD, and it'll do DS too when he's bigger. It's comfortable (she's never complained!) and really easy to put on and off both our bikes (matter of seconds to tighten up) so we can share nursery pick up and drop off.

signofthebellbird Wed 17-Aug-16 21:53:07

We do use front panier racks though - it's possible but not easy to have a rear mounted one. Front rack makes life easier.

Starman16 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:49:40

Ah that's great to hear BellBird! I've been looking at videos on YouTube and liked how easy it looks to swap between bikes, as we are also hoping to share the nursery pick ups.

I've not really looked into front panniers but will do as sounds like that might be the best option.

Poocatcherchampion Sat 03-Sep-16 14:47:38

Why are you swapping away from a front one out if interest?

Starman16 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:02:55

I find the cycling position a little uncomfortable - you have to cycle quite bow-legged - and once I go back to work next month I'll be doing the nursery run/commute by bike everyday so I think a rear one will make this easier. I've really loved having the Weeride though, and it definitely meant I was confident to go out on the bike much earlier than if he'd had to go straight in a rear seat.

There are front seats which fit to the handle bar post rather than crossbar (Yepp mini, Bobike) which seem to solve the awkward riding position but I imagine they make the steering very heavy?

Rosti1981 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:29:56

Hey
I've got a Yepp Mini which my 2.5 year old still rides on (seat at front). But it's a cargo bike and has swept back handlebars, so my knees don't catch it. On the back I have a Polisport for my eldest (5.5). It's rack mounted and I have panniers, BUT again it's a cargo bike so probably a bit more room back there than your average bike. We just mount the Polisport quite far forward then squeeze the panniers behind it. There were a lot of panniers that didn't work though!!

Bobike is supposed to have panniers you can use together with it, I think. Otherwise I reckon a seat mounted rear seat might work. Good luck - I spent an inordinate amount of time googling panniers and seats and trying to get a setup that works. In general the Dutch products seem to be the most versatile, but not everything works with every bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now