Talk

Advanced search

Anyone doing le tour de Yorkshire this weekend?

(24 Posts)
Mumski45 Wed 27-Apr-16 17:57:44

Just wondering if anyone else is signed up for this. I signed up for it a few months ago and although training has gone ok it is still further and more hilly than I've ever been before and I'm getting quite nervous.

Not sure if having lots of spectators around will help or hinder me and then there's the pressure of avoiding the sweepers clearing the roads for the pros.

Thought it might calm the nerves to 'chat' to others who are taking on the challenge :-)

lavendersun Thu 28-Apr-16 15:17:09

Definitely not signed up for it Mumski45 but I hope it goes really well for you.

How does it work? Do you do the Otley to Doncaster bit and the pros do the other sections?

I grew up in a tiny village on that part of the route and went there earlier this week, they have got tour mania grin, yellow bikes and flags everywhere.

I was near Masham today and there is snow on the hills!

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Thu 28-Apr-16 15:22:14

How exciting! Good luck 😊

Mumski45 Thu 28-Apr-16 16:29:03

Hi Lavendersun.
The Otley -Doncaster is the pro route for Saturday. The sportive is on Sunday and it starts and finishes in Scarborough before the pros arrive at the end of the last leg from Middlesborough. Really wanted to stop in Doncaster on the drive over to see the women's race finish but can't get away early enough.

Mumski45 Thu 28-Apr-16 16:30:50

Yea unfortunately it has been really cold round there and lots of bits of snow high up. Hoping it will clear by Sunday.

Thanks Meanwhile.

lavendersun Thu 28-Apr-16 16:37:13

Clearly I am clueless MumSki45!! I did read about it in the local press a few weeks ago (obvs didn't take much in).

How far is the sportive?

I think that the weather forecast is meant to be nice by Sunday, we are hoping to get out on our bikes.

I hope you have a really fantastic day and it is a day to remember!

lavendersun Thu 28-Apr-16 16:39:29

I just looked it up - looks fab ...... I could manage the short route!!! Anything longer would kill me with the hills right now.

CMOTDibbler Thu 28-Apr-16 16:41:57

Spectators is what make things really special. DH and I did a closed road sportive together last year (unusual as one of us always has ds cycling with them normally) , and it was fab having people out watching. Even when you wanted to puke on the hills.

I hope the weather clears up for you!

Pipkinhartley Fri 29-Apr-16 09:27:47

All best Mumski, weather doesn't look too bad for Sunday. As CMOT says, the spectators will make it a great event for you, just enjoy and go at your own pace.
I did three closed roads last year and all were fantastic ( ok, so Velothon Wales suffered a bit from "tack gate") the closed roads will push your confidence, no cars, junctions or roundabouts to worry about.
Hope you have a great day, wish I had entered in time!

Mumski45 Fri 29-Apr-16 20:30:58

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Trying to decide what to pack. Expecting it will be cold and wet but can't help hoping I might not need thermals.

FunkyPeacock Fri 29-Apr-16 20:35:30

I am doing it too :-)

But worried about the early start, the weather and the minimum pace needed to get round but I am of the attitude that if I don't manage the whole thing it's not the end of the world.

I'm signed up for the 115km route, are you?

Mumski45 Fri 29-Apr-16 23:45:44

Hi funkypeacock
Yes I am signed up for 115k. I think if you don't make the cut offs they will reroute you on a shorter ride so yes it's not the end of the world at all.

Weather forecast is improving every time I look.
Good luck and hoe you enjoy it :-)

FunkyPeacock Sat 30-Apr-16 08:24:05

Good news about the weather Mumski

I scanned thru the enter list and we are definitely in the minority - I would say 95% riders are male!

I'm going to attempt to have an easy day today and not waste too much energy and then get an early night tonight

Good luck!

Mumski45 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:29:23

I did the same funky. We are driving over to Scarborough this afternoon, going out for tea then as you say it's an early night.
Don't let the fact that's it's mainly men intimidate you. We are doing well just to get out there and have a go.

FunkyPeacock Sat 30-Apr-16 16:41:17

Yes - agreed!

Just applied the many stickers to bike, helmet etc

lavendersun Sun 01-May-16 16:40:36

I hope you both had a great day Funky and MumSki. I drove through some of the route yesterday and saw it going on and we had a family lunch in a town on the route today and came out to see everyone ride past. Fantastic crowds/atmosphere.

It was a bit cold and wet though which is a shame!

prettybird Sun 01-May-16 17:05:31

Not wanting to post a spoiler for those whore planning on watching the highlights, but......

.....yaaaay! smile

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 01-May-16 18:47:13

How was it?

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 01-May-16 20:32:38

Mumski hope it went well. I was a spectator only, on the hill coming out of Robin Hood's Bay.
Here's a picture of Peter Kennaugh riding past with a pocket full of bananas.

FunkyPeacock Mon 02-May-16 09:52:47

Great photo ER!

I really enjoyed the sportive. It was really well organised and a superb route (except for having to cycle past queuing traffic along South Bay!).

Hope you enjoyed it too Mumski

The final day of the pro race was really exciting too. We managed to watch them after our ride. Brilliantly exciting finish!!

Mumski45 Mon 02-May-16 21:36:36

Absolutely loved it although it was exhausting. Very hilly route with a strong headwind in places and I pushed so hard on the hills that when it came to flat bits I couldn't get my speed up.
I also had a couple of frustrating minutes at the traffic lights along the front and then a bone shattering attempt at sprinting along the cobbles.
Managed to muster a little bit of energy for a feeble sprint finish.

Was fun to watch the pros come in but not so fun on the 3 he drive home extended further by having to drop off friends with bikes etc.
Was worth every minute though and would do it again.
I agree the organisation was excellent.

lavendersun Tue 03-May-16 07:34:40

Great updates from the mumsnet riders! Hope you are really proud.

Absolutely brutal hills in places, what sort of average speed do you manage with the hills, wind and rain?

My sister was at Sutton bank to watch the pros, gruelling, I hate driving up, more particularly down SB!

I was a bit confused on Saturday to see some old guys on steel tourers with numbers on on the route. Was told that some clubs ride it after the race has gone through. I didn't realise that.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Tue 03-May-16 12:27:01

Well done 😊

Pipkinhartley Wed 04-May-16 08:07:20

Great riding both, it's considered a challenging sportive -chapeau!
Has anyone considered the tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo on 5 June, if you finish in the top 25% of your age/ gender group you will qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Champs and get a qualifiers medal!
I did it last year and it's a fast flat course, completely closed road too, loved it so back again this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now