Talk

Advanced search

saddle sore help

(13 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 23-Apr-16 23:33:59

I'm doing increasingly longer rides and really starting to struggle with saddle sores! I've invested in what I hoped would be better padding with some Altura gel shorts but it's made little difference. Should I invest in a new saddle, better shorts or consider shelling out for a bike fit (or all 3!) Any recommendations appreciated as I could barely sit on the saddle for the last 10 miles of a 60 mile ride last weekend and I've got a few similar length rides ( plus a 3 day 180 mile ride) coming up over the next few months.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 24-Apr-16 08:29:47

Just checking you aren't wearing any thing under the shorts? (grin sounds dodgy random stranger on the internet asking if you are wearing knickersblush)

Also some places do a saddle fit where they analyse your sit bones and sell you a saddle which best suits you.

PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 24-Apr-16 11:40:47

No knickers & use chamois cream. It's a combination of bone pressure (which I'm guessing a bike fit will help) and really bloody tender bits which is the biggest issue. I've borrowed a friend's gel cover so will try that for my next ride but do need new shorts too.

lavendersun Sun 24-Apr-16 17:40:36

I used to have to limit my riding until I switched from a ladies gel saddle to a hard (harder than Brooks) leather saddle. My whole underneath was bruised/ in agony and I used to get yeast infections if I rode too often.

I have ended up using Spa's Nidd on both my tourers, really thick hard leather but the only thing in contact is my seat bones.

DH reckons the more saddle padding you have the more if your body is in contact with the saddle whereas no padding = seat bones only. It really does seem to work in my case.

Have you got padded shorts for longer distances. I only realised last year that some shorts have a sort of 'grading' for different sorts of distances. Not sure how much difference it makes but if I was struggling and had some good distances planned I would probably end up with some.

Hard isn't it finding something that suits you. It only took me ten years!

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 24-Apr-16 18:04:22

Yes totally agree with your dh. I like a hard saddle. I also don't wear padded shorts as I find they rub my delicate bits! Have to say I don't do anything like the distances that you do!

bumpingalong9386 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:10:32

Gel bib shorts (for the love of god make sure no underwear) a racing saddle and a lot of chamois cream. I did a 300 mile bike ride last year and all of the above got me through (along with a couple of icy baths along the way) grin

CMOTDibbler Sun 24-Apr-16 21:41:38

Good shorts help- I found a real difference in upgrading mine to the best dhb ones. I have a selle Italian diva gel saddle which is slightly wider than I'd like but good overall. But a bike fit makes a huge difference As you sit on the right bit and angle.

CMOTDibbler Sun 24-Apr-16 21:45:18

Oh, and if it's your bits that are sore, a saddle with a cutout does help. A gel cover won't as it puts more pressure on them

prettybird Mon 25-Apr-16 14:03:56

I agree about the gel/larger saddles. They're actually counter-productive. it took me ages to persuade dh of this

What saddle have you got at the moment?

Bike fit might help - maybe moving your saddle forward or backwards (there's usually a degree of adjustment possible).

Pipkinhartley Fri 29-Apr-16 09:12:59

I've just bought a new Liv Envie and it came with the Liv Forward seat
www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_liv_contact_sl_forward_2016_saddle-ID_68884?gclid=CKCS9uavs8wCFdiZGwodBXkMOw&gclsrc=aw.ds
As PPs have said, a harder saddle reduces the contact area (ok, let's not be coy, reduces contact with the fleshy area) so will just affect your sit bones and the full channel on the Liv seat takes care of reducing contact with your softer bits. Ideally have it sitting level as that should help you adjust your position during your ride.
It is a hard seat, and my other bike has a Selle Italia gel flow, which is comfy enough, but maybe not on the longer distances of say 100k plus.
I'm also a fan of bib shorts, castellli are my faves but pricey although that said, there are some great shops on eBay where you can get some leading brands at reasonable prices. I've had lots of campagnolo and Etxeondo women's stuff from Absolutecycles and prendas-ciclismo

cyclinggirl22 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:59:07

A good pair of shorts (I recommend assos - they seem expensive but so worth it, I now have little pain in comparison) and a good saddle. Depends where you get the pain as to what saddle is best. I personally ride with a Specialized romin Evo pro. Very little padding, nice cut out and super comfy, and I do fairly long distance on that (around 100miles). The Specialized power saddle is also mega comfy. Don't go for padded saddles they really don't help

TheBicycleChain Mon 21-Nov-16 14:26:17

I would advise you to go and see your local bike shop, its a very common issue and they will be able to sort you out.

- Get measured for a saddle ( sit bone distance )
- Get a mini bike fit: saddle height, angle and position front and back
- Get some padded shorts / under shorts and as mentioned try not wearing anything underneath

If you can get all that right you will be much more comfortable.

I hope that helps,
Daryl

bicyclechain.co.uk

NathalieM Wed 21-Dec-16 15:46:09

My hubby had the same issue and would apply tons of Vaseline, which was a sight to behold lol He ended up getting himself measured for a custom made saddle in the end.

Nat xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now