Talk

Advanced search

Things to which to lock a bike - is anchors the word I want?

(10 Posts)
AtiaoftheJulii Sat 05-Mar-16 15:06:36

Dd is moving into a rented student house in the summer. Lovely house, but has nothing in the way of bike storage. She cycles, not sure about the others (at least two row, so presume they would cycle too otherwise you have a long early-morning walk). I did tell her to ask about getting a bike rack or something fitted in the front garden, but I don't think she did. You'd think that was a reasonable thing to ask a landlord in a student city with a lot of bikes (and bike thefts) though, so will nudge her again.

Otherwise, are there any good options? We have a locking point in our back garden (that we don't use any more, the bikes all live indoors) and it has one way screws on it, so wouldn't be able to remove it when her year is up. I don't mind paying for something really as long as the landlord doesn't mind it staying there! But wondered whether there were any more temporary solutions, or whether that's just daft because of thieves.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Quoteunquote Sat 05-Mar-16 18:03:23

Take into her bedroom each time as it will get nicked any where else even by flat mates/friends, good excise carrying up each time.

And make sure you take out extra insurance.

Oh and paint it all over with 'hello kitty' sticker or something equaly sickly and odd, and use at least three different strong locks, each and every time you leave it, if you want to see it again, and a quick release saddle to take with you,

lock nuts on the wheels , and lock through everything, photograph the serial numbers and bike for the insurance claim.

or buy ten quid bikes and treat them as disposable. (gumtree)

all sorts of free standing bike racks/stands

here

ivykaty44 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:08:07

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/air-pollution-to-blame-for-60000-early-deaths-per-year-government-to-be-warned-9893810.html

Use this in her bedroom or hall and lock bike. If the bike is inside the house the insurance company have more difficulty wriggling out of paying...

FishWithABicycle Sat 05-Mar-16 18:15:47

ivykaty I haven't followed the link but the url looks like it's about something else.

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 18:25:15

Is there a shed where she's staying?
I did my back in carrying bikes upstairs so I can't recommend that.

ivykaty44 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:41:22

Sorry?
www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Mount-Bicycle-Stand-Storage/dp/B00BW4TP7C

ivykaty44 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:42:00

Sorry it's on the US site but you get the drift

lljkk Sat 05-Mar-16 19:46:36

You could buy a 2nd hand shed on Ebay & put it up in the garden. The idea of bike left out in elements makes me cringe.

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 05-Mar-16 21:53:29

That's quite thorough Quote! What about if she slept with it handcuffed to her? grin She's really sensible about locking it up, and we already have notes of all our serial numbers. It's just such a bloody PITA if anything happens to it.

They do have a back garden, with no side or rear access, but can't remember if it had a shed at all. Think a shed would be a pain to get a bike in and out of every day, she'd probably rather just keep it in her room (they haven't made the final decisions on rooms yet, so she might have a ground floor one - she's not taking the attic though, lol!).

Quoteunquote Sat 05-Mar-16 22:21:49

The police don't care and student's bicycles are seen as fair game.

Having just had eldest finish uni, judging from listening to all of his friend's tales of bicycle drama (good selection of universities) , I would not expect to finish uni with the same bike you started with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now