Talk

Advanced search

Cycling Bargains

(15 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Mon 18-Jan-16 16:37:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 11:19:39

We seem to have bought quite a bit of clothing in the sales this year -
mainly because we are going away for five weeks on our bikes in the summer and need to pack very light.

Some items were bargains like this top

www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Baroque-Womens-Short-Sleeve-Jersey-2014_61193.htm

which comes up very small. I am a 10-12 and bought the size 16 in the end!

I bought two of these

www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Womens-SL-Expert-Short-Sleeve-Cycling-Jersey_70988.htm

which are nice and true to size.

DD is in womens XS and I bought her some real bargains, now sold out, just because of the rubbish sizing on cycling clothes but £80 tops for £18.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Jan-16 13:10:38

I've managed to avoid buying in the sales, but DH has an entire new drive train through the sales, and got bargain sealskinz gloves from Leisure Lakes on Saturday which were on a special.

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 19-Jan-16 13:38:28

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 14:02:59

I found it short Tea, but I am long in the body, if I weren't a size 14 would have done.

We bought the same one for DD about a year ago in the Cotswold sale so I reckon they are old stock.

I don't count components CMOT, smile, just gulp at the credit card statements. We, well not me, have built two new bikes and refurbished two old bikes since November. It is one of those all together things that should never be all together but for some reason it is.

Rose bikes, Spa and SJS feature very heavily on our statements. Rose can be mega cheap for components if they have what you want. Cheaper than anywhere else. Because they build a large number of bikes their components come in cling film type wrap rather than a shimano box, some of them are half price, even Spa prices.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Jan-16 14:09:12

TBF, DH is putting off his need for a new bike (his target is a Rose actually) by upgrading his before Velothon Wales/Rise London, so it is much cheaper. His discovery that Rose have a big outlet in easy reach of my frequent German destination was very happy, but I am resisting!

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 14:28:22

CMOT, my disastrously coloured bike is finished - on the trainer in the hope I could make it on there this week but one of my wounds became infected and burst so no hope.

Our tandem has gone to Mercian for a respray, DH said that the finishing was like a work of art compared to the BJ bikes, so if I like the frame and it works for me I will send it for a respray next winter, if not sell the frame and have them make me one.

Sadly I can't even think about getting on it right now.

The finished article (rear brakes aside). I can live with the colour for now if the frame is a perfect fit. An annoying wait to find out though.

Sorry to digress tea, back to the sales .....

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Jan-16 14:48:10

It looks better with the saddle and bar tape combo (which reminds me my bar tape needs doing), but it is still not at all your intended colour is it!
My DHB thermal jersey has stars that colour though, so you couldn co-ordinate

Sorry to hear about the setback - I guess you are on heavy duty abs now?

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 14:58:45

Have you got the dark blue DHB jersey? I really like it and almost bought it but have been absolutely banned from co-ordinating with the bike. DH hates it more than I do.

I do think it looks better with everything on it but no, I wouldn't have chosen it in a million years. Trouble is a like for like respray in a nice colour is about three hundred pounds so I need to make sure the bike is as good as it gets fit wise before I throw any money at it.

Yes, very big dose of abs, which are making me feel very nauseous. I have lost a lot of weight, not sure how much but my trousers are falling down.

Hopefully I will regain it whilst eating pastries and riding my bike in France at Easter. I will be very upset if I can't.

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Jan-16 15:06:54

No, mines last year - black with aqua stars.

Just think of all the eclairs you can have smile. A friends brother rode London to Rome and she had pics of him having 4 eclairs at rest stops.

This afternoons conference call is dragging on, and its lovely and sunny outside. I am needed for one sentence every 5 minutes and wish I could manage a head set while running/ on turbo

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 16:20:34

Fortunately we were planning on doing more eating than cycling - it could be fairly cold so our mileage won't be big.

My husband's metabolism allows him to eat four eclairs at a time, when he goes shopping he will often eat a box of them in the car!

I do all sorts of things when on conference calls - I am very productive, hope you managed to get outside!

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 19-Jan-16 20:26:31

lavendersun Tue 19-Jan-16 20:52:14

Thank you, I am the most uncool person ever tea - I wanted a capable traditional tourer that was prettier than my husband's Thorn club tour.

I chose the shiniest components possible and went as retro as I could with functionality in mind! Shame about the colour, I like everything else.

Just need to make sure it fits now but I couldn't get my leg over the top tube if I tried. In truth I didn't really need a new bike so it had better fit or I will be really fed up.

lavendersun Sat 23-Jan-16 06:12:01

Lots of late sale dhb bargains at Wiggle.

I bought DD one of these which arrived yesterday. I find dhb fairly generous as a rule (compared to Pearl and Gore and I only tend to buy Pearl, Gore and Altura). Fairly true to size but the sleeves are fairly wide. Fine, but almost baggy, I wonder if that is why they are £20!

www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-womens-windslam-roubaix-long-sleeve-jersey/

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 23-Jan-16 21:37:26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now