Talk

Advanced search

Learning Welsh

(9 Posts)
Vinomcstephens Wed 15-Mar-17 21:20:59

I've wanted to learn to speak, read and write Welsh for many years - I'm not Welsh and don't live in Wales which doesn't make it easy confused I live in Manchester and I've seen Welsh speakers on Mumsnet and I wondered if anyone might be able to make a recommendation for someone to help with this?

(I've tried just about every "teach yourself Welsh book and app known to man and have come to the conclusion that I need a face to face tutor for which, of course, I will pay for smile)

Many thanks if you're able to help!

BackforGood Wed 15-Mar-17 23:20:47

Have you got a Welsh Society in Manchester? Many cities do. That would be a good place to start. In our City, the Welsh society is full of retired Welsh speakers who may be happy to help you. A lot of them are also retired teachers smile.
If nothing comes up with an internet search of Welsh Societies, try 'Male Voice Choir's for another source of Welsh folk.

Vinomcstephens Thu 16-Mar-17 21:47:32

Thank you Back smile that's a great suggestion - I've found a Welsh Society in Manchester so I'll see if they can help.

Thanks again!

frazzled3ds Thu 16-Mar-17 21:51:24

I live in Wales and keep trying to learn Welsh (my kids speak more than me thanks to basic language lessons in school....)

I have an app that has multiple language courses in it called DuoLingo and they have recently added Welsh to the list, it's user friendly and I get on ok with it. I don't have much opportunity to practice though which doesn't help (maybe I should ask my rabble to help me!)

It's a lovely language to hear spoken, be prepared for all kinds of weird mutations and regional differences in meaning though - some words have completely different meanings depending on whether you're in North or South Wales!

user1492362793 Sun 16-Apr-17 21:04:26

I'm learning Welsh too! It's hard but I'm going to persevere. Good luck! wink

DapperDame Tue 18-Apr-17 21:13:56

Have you seen "SaySomethingInWelsh"? Give it a google - very intuitive and fun to do!

user1492362793 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:16:14

I'm using Say Something in Welsh too...I think it's a brilliant way to learn, for me personally...I'm too tired after work to go out to a class, so the fact that I can do it I'm my PJs from my sofa, is brilliant for me. But we're all different and I hope you find what you need! Let me know!

I'm fluent in Welsh but I do use DuoLingo to keep my knowledge fresh while I'm a SAHM (DD is being raised bilingual but the conversation is a little thin on the ground as she's 3 grin ), I think it would be great for a new learner too!

It's great that you're wanting to learn, it's a beautiful language smile

Molehillfromamountain Tue 18-Apr-17 22:28:46

I'm learning alongside my DC who learn at mursery. We sing songs and watch Cyw the kids programme on S4C, (Welsh tv, you can get it online) I figured kids level will cover all the basics for now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now