Talk

Advanced search

Urgent help needed in writing French condolence card

(3 Posts)
Archfarchnad Mon 10-Nov-14 14:11:11

Very sad situation. A group of us work with two French people, a couple. The language we generally use together is German, not French or English. The man has died, rather tragically. The woman, unsurprisingly, is devastated. As a start we want to get a condolence card sent off ASAP, then we can work out if we can support her in any other way (big geographical distances involved, can't just pop round the corner with a pot roast).

I'd like at least part of the condolence card to be in French, as a gesture. Because of what we do professionally, language is important to all of us and I think she'd appreciate something in her own language.

So far I've cobbled together this below from this website. A particular weakness is all the tu and nous forms, which I had to change myself:

Chère XXX,

C'est avec emotion que nous apprenons le deuil qui tu frappe tout d'un coup es nous tenons à ce que tu sois assuré de notre chalereuse sympathie. Nous partageons ta peine en ce moment de deuil.

(Next bit I can't translate alone) Please do tell us if there's anything we can do at this difficult time. XXX will be much missed by us all. We wish you strength.

Best wishes from all at XXX (name of our company)

Are there any native speakers or high-level French speakers around who can help out today, please (or at least check the accuracy of the first part)? Would be much appreciated.

DialMforMummy Tue 11-Nov-14 11:11:41

Chère XXX,

C'est avec une vive émotion que nous avons appris le départ soudain de xxx (the deceased) et nous tenons à te présenter nos sincères condoléances. Nous partageons ta peine en ce moment de deuil.

(Next bit I can't translate alone) Please do tell us if there's anything we can do at this difficult time. XXX will be much missed by us all. We wish you strength.

N'hésite pas à nous dire si nous pouvons faire quelque chose pour t'épauler dans cette épreuve difficile. xxx nous manquera à tous ici.

Best wishes from all at XXX (name of our company)
Amitiés de nous tous,

Name of company

This is written with the non formal "tu" I adapted a few bits to make it more French (I am a native). Let me know if you want a "Vous" version.

rainyevening Tue 30-Dec-14 09:05:41

DialM, that was super helpful, you have lovely French. Not sure why Op didn't come back to say merci. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now