Talk

Advanced search

Linguistic quirks on mumsnet

(4 Posts)
AnnaBegins Mon 20-Oct-14 18:43:35

So I was listening to the Digital a Human on radio 4 on the way home and they were talking about linguistic quirks as part of building group identity on a forum, such as normalisation of misspellings and use of non standard words. Made me instantly think of mumsnet with wnaky baskets, quiches, naice ham etc.

Then of course you've got all the acronyms, which I catch myself thinking in in real life, and also I personally sense a sort of mumsnet way of talking or phrasing things.

Made me think a bit about evolution of language through the internet, and language as a social marker.

What other mumsnet linguistic markers are there then? Proper use of apostrophes maybe grin

MrsHathaway Mon 20-Oct-14 18:51:37

ODFOD is a particular favourite (and I'm not sure I didn't coin it). It combines the best of two MN linguistic preferences, namely: "use abbreviations where possible" and "swear classily".

NetballHoop Wed 05-Nov-14 23:34:46

It's an interesting topic. Very few "memes" seem to make it from one online community to another which to me makes them more like school slang rather than any kind of language evolution.

As for apostrophes, every English language forum I have been on has an apostrophe "nazi". That may say more about the sites I visit than the internet in general though.

Oh, and MrsH, I fucking love that you can swear here, the abbreviations I can live with.

UterusUterusGhali Mon 29-Jun-15 19:56:47

There are oodles of them on MN.
There used to be more but they seem to have gone out of fashion.

Naice
Luffs/luffly
Forrin
Fred
Norty
Pebbly shit
For example (Cameron, for example, is a twat.) That was Tim Dowling's wife iirc when they had a spat on a thread

God there must be loads more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now