Talk

Advanced search

Linguistic anachronisms in TV and films

(6 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 30-Mar-14 13:00:17

There were some well-documented examples from Downton Abbey for starters.

I've been watching Ashes to Ashes with my DC and noticed Gene Hunt uses "end of" quite frequently. I don't remember this expression being around in the 80s.

Anyone else?

traviata Sun 30-Mar-14 13:04:01

Musketeers.

Great escapist fun.

But I doubt that the expression "have you got this?" was much in use in 17th century France, (to mean "are you in control of the situation?").

CountessOfRule Sun 30-Mar-14 13:07:27

I don't mind in Musketeers, because they wouldn't have been speaking English anyway so a "translation" into the modern vernacular is inoffensive.

The Count last week had me hmm though. Completely unnecessary foreign accent, given that his daughter didn't have the same and Queen Anne is unaccented.

MardyBra Sun 30-Mar-14 13:24:04

I haven't been watching the Muskateers. I suppose you would expect them to use English expressions from the 19th century rather than the modern day.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 30-Mar-14 17:30:54

One not mentioned in the article, in Downton this past season, Violet used "parent" as a verb. I think that is anachronistic and out of character as well.

MardyBra Mon 31-Mar-14 09:53:46

Yes, parent as a verb doesn't sit well in the era.

I seem to remember there were some howlers in Titanic, but I can't bring them to mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now