Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BETWEEN YOU AND I THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS GOING TO THE DOGS

(10 Posts)
nessus Wed 29-Jan-14 17:14:04

Intelligence2 March offering looks like it should be of interest so I thought I would link to it. You can usually follow some of their debates via a live stream as it airs or catch it after it has been uploaded. There is of course the option of being there live on the night.

*Disclaimer: I have no link to the company whatsoever!

roundtable Wed 29-Jan-14 17:23:22

Shouldn't it be you and me in your title? grin

roundtable Wed 29-Jan-14 17:24:39

Oh sorry I posted before I read your link. blush

marmaladecatbob Wed 29-Jan-14 17:30:00

Oh ok.Ah well.

nessus Wed 29-Jan-14 17:46:31

I almost fell for it myself when first spotted!

Pascha Wed 29-Jan-14 17:48:04

Oh don't shout. Its teatime and I've already got a headache from the kids noise sad

AuntieStella Thu 30-Jan-14 07:03:49

That looks interesting nessus

I'm laissez faire when it comes to thinking as a linguist and describing language. But actually rather prescriptive (or at least proscriptive) at other times.

(I have a nasty twitch having just seen "lay" for "lie" in another thread title, but that's a theme probably more suited to Pedants' Corner).

DoctorTwo Thu 30-Jan-14 07:19:44

I'm of the opinion that the English language is a moveable feast and it has always been. Words and phrases drop in and out all the time. I love the fact that it's so fluid, but not that that fluidity makes it more difficult to learn.

katese11 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:46:12

It does look interesting and I am v much of the "change, not decline" camp...But it irked me that there was a question mark missing in the blurb!

katese11 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:49:31

ten years ago who could have written “OMG he’s RTd my selfie!!”

...is a question, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now