Talk

Advanced search

War Horse at the National Theatre - too much for a 7 year old?

(10 Posts)
Legacy Fri 09-Oct-09 11:14:50

DS1 (10) wants to go to see this. It says for children 10+ - would it be too upsetting for a (sensitive) 7 year old?

(I haven't read the book, but presume there are upsetting killing/death scenes?)

wilbur Fri 09-Oct-09 11:17:06

I don't think I would take a 7 yr old - esp if there are sensitive. It's pretty emotional and really aimed at older children. I'm hoping it will stay o for a couple of years until ds1 is about 11.

seeker Fri 09-Oct-09 11:21:32

Oh please don't take him! It was nearly too much for my 13 year old - she is still talking about it nearly 6 months later!

Legacy Fri 09-Oct-09 11:25:34

Great thanks - I suspected as much (it's obviously rated 10/12 for a reason)

I might see if I can take DS1 & a friend instead.

And take DS2 to soemthing soft and fluffy instead smile

seeker Fri 09-Oct-09 11:31:34

My 13 year old tried to tell her 8 year old brother about it and after the first few sentences he said "I don't want to hear any more!"

I was just going to say tell your dd waterproof mascara is a must then saw you have a ds, so probably superfluous advice!

gremlindolphin Tue 13-Oct-09 13:02:52

I want to go and see it as I love Michael M's writing but got in such a weepy state looking at the trailer on the website when I was booking tickets that I decided not to go!

raceystacey Thu 21-Oct-10 00:20:53

is this still on at the national?
What did you all think?

annh Thu 28-Oct-10 14:49:22

This is no longer on at the National, it moved to the West End, if you Google you can find which theatre.

midtowner Sun 06-Mar-11 21:04:18

I was going to ask about this for a mature 9 year old. DS1 has wanted to see it for years, but we never got round to it. It's touring where we live to coincide with DS1's 14th birthday, but I don't think we could take him without DS2.

I've read Butterfly Lion to them (it was one of DS1's classroom books a couple of years ago), but always start to cry at the sad bits.

gabriellasf Sat 25-Jun-11 15:30:33

If you want an idea of how amazing the puppetry is in this show, check out this video: http://youtu.be/oBdZsSrhl4c

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now