Talk

Advanced search

Othello - age 10

(8 Posts)
Erbert Sat 22-Aug-09 00:35:53

My dd is learning about Macbeth in school and is v. interested in Shakespeare. I am thinking about taking her to see something in Theatre, however can only find a production of Othello nearby. Have not read this - can anyone advise on suitability before I drag out my 'complete works' - and also some opinions on whether she will manage to understand. She is fairly articulate and quite well read for 10. Thanks!

cornsillk Sat 22-Aug-09 00:44:08

She'll love it. There are a few references to adultery but nothing too explicit. Perhaps discuss the subject of attitudes to race in the past before you go.

Clary Sat 22-Aug-09 00:46:39

I would certainly chat through the plot in advance.

I am sure it is fine as regard suitability. I went to see R&J aged 11 (with Ian McKellen - I fell in love blush) and it was very fab.

Yes talk about the race issue as less of an issue now than in those days which makes it a bit hard for children to get I think (good thing too)

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 22-Aug-09 00:49:46

Sorry, but I would say no. Domestic violence - husband murders wife in a fit of (misplaced)jealousy, and themes about racism and power - are not easy subjects most 10 year olds. There is very little I can think of in the plot which would appeal to a child.

Midsummer Night's Dream is a good starter for a live visit. It has lots of visual comedy but is not all laughs, and has some Big Themes. Shakespeare's original intent IMHO.

Clary Sat 22-Aug-09 00:53:27

Macbeth is hardly Teletubbies tho - vicious wife talks husband into killing the nice king; sons get accused; Machooch kills all kinds of people including Macduff's children; wifey goes bonkers and wees herself on stage; caesarian section denouement. hmmm grin

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 22-Aug-09 01:03:20

And what about that Titus Andronicus eh?

27 deaths innit? shock

Erbert Sat 22-Aug-09 09:25:54

Thanks everyone - v. helpful - sorry I did not reply last night - my youngest woke up! I think that I will dust down my complete works and read it first - and decide after that.

Erbert Sat 22-Aug-09 09:31:10

Oh and re the c-section & Macbeth - the teacher glossed over this 'it will take a bit of explaining' so of course dd came home and demanded to know. There is talk of her dusting off the complete works too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now