Talk

Advanced search

Proms - any top tips for a novice prommer?

(22 Posts)
Molesworth Sat 01-Aug-09 21:36:09

I've never been to the proms before, but I fancy going to tomorrow's concert. Normal tickets are sold out. Does anyone know how early you have to show up to stand a chance of tickets? I haven't a clue and don't fancy standing around for hours unless absolutely necessary!

LIZS Sun 02-Aug-09 07:52:45

Depends on the concert tbh. Queue for Arena is normally longer than Gallery. Usually it gets busier by lunchtime but you may well get in if you arrive later in the afternoon/after work especially during the week.

Molesworth Sun 02-Aug-09 09:07:01

Thank you LIZS - I think we'll just turn up about an hour before and see what happens

LIZS Sun 02-Aug-09 10:39:27

dh says they open the doors about an hour(maybe an hour and half) ahead of the start time but probably would n't want to leave it that late to join the queue tbh.

Molesworth Sun 02-Aug-09 11:17:21

Oh dear - I really don't fancy standing about for several hours. Might be worth it for the Barenboim one though. Thanks for the info LIZS

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 09:25:05

Well - didja?

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 09:29:11

No, I'm far too lazy to stand in queue for any more than one hour, max! DP and I agreed we'd be organised and book tickets in advance next year <lazy cow emoticon>

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 09:30:41

Yeah my promming days are over as well - actually they were over in about 1980. Seats is the only way!

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 09:41:29

grin

Mind you, I really do fancy the Barenboim prom (sold out). Do people take collapsible chairs and flasks of tea to sustain them in the queue?

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 09:44:05

Which one - the Fidelio? He is also doing a couple of East-West Divans. Are they all sold out?

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 09:47:25

Ah, I'd only spotted Prom 48 - thought DS might enjoy Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 09:49:40

The late night chamber one after the Berlioz probably won't be sold out - Mendelssohn Octet and some Berg.

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 09:56:28

Just rooting about on the website and I see you can buy a weekend pass for £17.50, which might be a good compromise!

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 10:03:36

OK, so for £17.50 I can go to all the Barenboim concerts plus the Prom on Sunday (Brahms Violin Concerto) - only the gallery is available though. What's it like up there? I've only ever sat in the stalls or loggia boxes at the AH before.

LIZS Mon 03-Aug-09 10:19:04

Won't you still have to queue to get your place ? I think we did the gallery once or twice and it was fine as long as you don't mind being all the way up ! Hot though.

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 10:19:36

I've never been up there for a concert but have been up for a look.
Have done a quick straw poll among collegueas and people say take a telescope, but its a very relaxed place to be with no unfriendly twits.
But it is a very long way from the music and can feel a bit distant and what you make up in relaxed comfort you lose a bit in atmosphere.

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 10:21:23

No queueing with the weekend pass, so that's a bonus. But I think I'd rather be in the arena area. Thanks both for all the info

LIZS Mon 03-Aug-09 10:26:28

but there will be others with season tickets and weekend passes, you still queue for admittance( if different to the day queue) then all rush upstairs to secure a palce by the rail. Flasks , chairs, sleeping bags etc were all part and parcel when dh and I used to go but not sure you'd be allowed in with them.

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 10:27:49

What do people do with their flasks, chairs etc when they go in?

Lilymaid Mon 03-Aug-09 10:28:24

DH still "proms" after meetings in London and doesn't have problems getting into the arena (unless it is some really big name concert - Berlin Phil or similar). I too abandoned standing as a member of the audience at concerts circa 1980.
For me, the Gallery would only be worthwhile if I got into the queue early and could be by the railings. Otherwise, I would prefer to listen to Radio 3 from the comfort of my armchair.
It is very strange that when I started going to the Proms, in my teens, there were so many people older than me who were standing - and now in my dotage, there are still many (mainly men) standing in the arena who are older than me.

LIZS Mon 03-Aug-09 10:29:53

I think there is a cloakroom but we've not stood for many years

Katisha Mon 03-Aug-09 10:38:04

Lilymaid - they are exactly the same people I bet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now