Talk

Advanced search

Would you take a 9 year old to see Carmen?

(59 Posts)
PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:36:40

or La Boheme or am I pushing it here?

no babyitter and he likes classical music. Do you think they are suitable for a 9 year old?

TIA

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:39:26

Well, I would say, no.

My mum took me and bro to all sorts of stuff when we were young. We always ended up leaving at the interval as we were well bored.

Liking classical music and sitting quietly through a whole opera are two diferent things.

Maybe? But you know your son. Can anyone else at all babysit?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:41:58

Hmm. My neighbour might but I also don't want to go alone. It's dependant on me getting paid, Carmen's on on the 31st October so it also means I won't have to take ds trik or treating. blush

I've taken him to see live orchestras for 3 hours before (his idea, not fun for me), he sat through it all.

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:45:39

Well if you think he's up to it.

Mum took DH and I (with rest of my family) to Carmen last year. DH was getting pretty twitchy way before the end... If I'm honest so was I!

If he's done it before though I wouldn't worry.

Katisha Sat 25-Oct-08 23:46:18

If it was a good production I would take him to Carmen. But it would need to be excitingly done.

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:46:49

Why not go alone? It's not exactly uncivilised. I strongly approve of doing things alone from time to time to prove to yourself you still can. Sounds perfect! You can have a cocktail!

Panfriedpumpkin Sat 25-Oct-08 23:47:00

I would say a big YES. Children love stories and it may be that he gets hooked by all of the excess around opera. dd is 8 and I would love to take her to an opera, now that you mention it.
ds will love the orchestral pieces and get inot the story if you explain it a little.
if it doesn't work then fine. But to be exposed to this stuff is wonderful. I saw my first opera at 36 y.o. and felt confounded at all I had missed out on.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:47:11

It's not the same as classical music as there's no people singing at the top of their voices. Would it be rude if I took a book for him just incase?

Panfriedpumpkin Sat 25-Oct-08 23:48:44

where is it on, choccy?

Katisha Sat 25-Oct-08 23:48:58

Who's doing it?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:49:03

They have subtitles so we'll know what's going on. It's Ellen Kent and Ampitheatre productions for what it's worth.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:49:45

here

wessexghoul Sat 25-Oct-08 23:50:18

I would have loved it.

Am a bit weird though.

If there's enough colour/drama, then go for it.

Katisha Sat 25-Oct-08 23:50:35

I'd give it a try.

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:51:59

I assume this is an early performance?

Taking book fine, but still think 9 YO it's quite a long performance to sit through.

Also bear in mind there may be sex!!

The production of Carmen last year had one topless lady at the front washing her boobs in a bucket. It's a very sexy opera.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:52:17

I'll buy the tickets (hoping I get paid before or we won't be going) just before and see how it goes. They are turning the theatre into a bull ring. I'm sure he'll love that.

christiana Sat 25-Oct-08 23:52:52

Message withdrawn

Panfriedpumpkin Sat 25-Oct-08 23:53:12

is that in Derby, then??

Katisha Sat 25-Oct-08 23:54:00

Looks like a pretty traditional production from the website - I reckon you;d be safe from the sex!

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:54:42

Ohh! I didn't know about the boobs. blush It's a 7:30 start so it's not too bad. He tends to over his eyes when people start kissing so he wouldn't notice (I hope).

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:56:15

Blimey my last post sounded a bit weird. But it's true that Carmen is about a woman with a lot of sex appeal and men fallng at her feet. Just depends how that production does it I suppose.

Also interesting to note that in a film with sex, batrayal and lots of murder, a 9 YO would def never be allowed to go. But because it's classical, like, it's fine!

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:56:53

It's in Derby. They have had opera here before but it's normally after christmas and I've been too poor to go.

I have to start somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for breasts. The lady in the box office will warn me anyway??

Panfriedpumpkin Sun 26-Oct-08 00:02:15

If it's in Derby, may I offer an alternative oper-goer, IF you have doubts over ds' ability to stick with it??

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sun 26-Oct-08 00:03:02

Would you like to come?

Panfriedpumpkin Sun 26-Oct-08 00:06:44

I'd love to! Carmen was my first opera, and it was very disappointing. Sung all in English with the diva from the Home Counties. Just didn't work. IT was Opera North, and a bit..well, unsatisfying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now