Talk

Advanced search

Magazine subscription

(7 Posts)
R4 Wed 08-Oct-08 09:35:58

Help! Years ago I used to enjoy Good Housekeeping but went off it when it had a new editor. Her first editorial started brightly with "I love shopping ..." and it dumbed down from there. I bought the whole family subscriptions as Christmas presents last year and chose GH for myself but I'm afraid it's still fairly vacuous so I won't be renewing.

Can somebody recommend an interesting magazine, please. It is nice to have a bit of fashion or homestyle but not pages and pages of "buy this stuff" drivel. Definitely don't want sleb / TV twaddle either, I want something to get the brain cells going. Suggestions?

Cappuccino Wed 08-Oct-08 09:38:12

there is no magazine without 'buy this stuff'

I buy mil Woman and Home which is mildly diverting but assumes we all have an extra grand in change stuffed down the sides of our designer handbags

also it is irritating

timesaving tips such as 'book a massage at the same time as you are having your manicure' (I am not kidding. I read this when I was down visiting this weekend)

Katisha Wed 08-Oct-08 15:51:09

GH did go vacuous didn't it...It was the sleb recipes that did it for me. "So-and so's apple crumble" etc, with so-and-so and her photogenic family around the photogenic dining table, usually with bunting...

overthemill Wed 08-Oct-08 15:54:15

i like easy living from the conde nast stable. got it very cheap on some online offer so subscribed. a mix of stuff and good articles, try it!

Red isnt as good as it had been but has just had a refresh so may improve.

PestoFangsLookGoodOnMeMonster Wed 08-Oct-08 16:09:27

I quite like SHE magazine. You can get some very good subscription deals on it too.

Cappuccino Wed 08-Oct-08 16:18:25

marie claire used to be worthy and articly

I haven't bought it for 10 years mind

Bink Wed 08-Oct-08 17:16:28

Sadly Marie Claire is the ne plus ultra of the descent from worthwhileness to trivia ... it was so good when it was first set up (Sally Brampton, who continues to be marvellous - viz. her Sunday Times agony column) and then a decision was made to Reposition It.

I used to occasionally get an issue for old times' sake - and then feel like crying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now