Talk

Advanced search

DS3 is obsessed with my piano and it's freaking me out *blush*

(11 Posts)
FAQ Tue 23-Sep-08 22:04:45

and yes I know it's very early - and in a years time I'll look back and think "damn - what was I thinking - it's was toddler "thing".

DS3 (almost 16 months) is obsessed to the point of bizareness by my piano, and watching me play at church. He loves nothing more to climb onto my piano stool, sit with his legs dangling over the front, lift the lid and play it.

Now - DS1 and 2 also did this, but (even now grin) 99% of the time it's just bashing it, no thought, no caring what it sounds like.

DS3 freaks me out a little - he sits there with curved fingers, plays individual notes (he played a flipping scale this morning using one finger shock), he plays loudly, then he plays softly. The look of concentration on his face is quite scary at times. He sits there and holds a note down and listens until it stops sounding, then he plays the same note again and takes his finger straight off. The repeats with another note.

It's freaking me out (in a very silly way I know blush in fact I can't even believe I'm writing this post blush) - 1yr olds are supposed to climb onto the keyboard and bash with flat hands aren't they?

Or maybe I should be pleased, and rename him Amadeus and sit back and watch the ££££'s roll in in a few years time wink grin

Califrau Wed 24-Sep-08 18:23:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

differentID Wed 24-Sep-08 18:27:39

encourage him!

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 18:29:22

how on earth do you encourage a child that is only 16 months old (he was almost 16 months yesterday - and today is his 16 month "birthday" grin) to play the piano - other than opening the lid properly for him so he doesn't' trap his fingers??????

differentID Wed 24-Sep-08 18:31:16

play simple stuff and see if he copies, make a game of it. He loves seeing you play and wants to do what Mummy does.

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 18:32:34

<<<<<<doesn't want a gift or talented child blush>>>>>

(irrational fear I've had since I first started to think about having children as I don't think I could cope with it)

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 18:35:06

DS1 and 2 wanted to do what mummy does too - but not to the extent that he does lol - and not in the way that he does...

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 18:36:25

actually I'm surprised that anyone thought I was anything other than mad for noticing his way of exploring the piano and thinking it "different" blush

differentID Wed 24-Sep-08 18:41:57

not mad- you know your stuff.

BalloonSlayer Thu 25-Sep-08 12:20:12

DD has always been like that too.

DS1 and DS2 were always the bash crash types on the piano but when DD had a go it always sounded nice, even when she was tiny.

DS1(8) and DD(6) have just started lessons. The teacher said that he'll be able to play fine, but "she is a natural."

FAQ Thu 25-Sep-08 15:47:23

oooooooo - not what I wanted to hear balloon - I was hoping people would come and say "DS/DD was like that too but has two left hands now and not an ounce of talent in them" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now