Talk

Advanced search

How would you go about to get your work published?

(18 Posts)
tammybear Fri 25-Feb-05 14:22:38

Probably other threads about this, but I'm at work so don't really have time to go through it all. Was just wondering, as I do write a fair amount of poems (just written two at work so thats what sparked on my curiosity) xxx

Miaou Fri 25-Feb-05 14:49:50

Hi Tammy, you need this book - it gives you all the information you need, plus a lot of advice. It's my bible (for when I pluck up the courage to send something off!)

tammybear Fri 25-Feb-05 15:03:48

thanks miaou, will definetly buy it

CountessDracula Fri 25-Feb-05 15:17:53

can we see them?

CountessDracula Fri 25-Feb-05 15:18:18

(sorry am v nosey)

tammybear Fri 25-Feb-05 15:34:28

lol, the ones i just wrote are a bit depressing and im very bored at work, everyone has seemed to have gone home!

Miaou Fri 25-Feb-05 17:44:21

I was going to ask the same thing, CD!

roisin Fri 25-Feb-05 18:01:12

What are you writing Miaou?

Miaou Fri 25-Feb-05 18:31:13

I wrote a kid's poem that I thought could get turned into a book - posted it on the site somewhere...hang on a sec...

Miaou Fri 25-Feb-05 18:32:20

It's on this thread

roisin Fri 25-Feb-05 23:09:54

Love it

Niddlynono Fri 25-Feb-05 23:55:59

Miaou - get you. Fab poem. You've got a real talent.

Miaou Sat 26-Feb-05 09:04:03

thanks guys! Tammybear - are you going to share any of yours with us?

roisin Sat 26-Feb-05 09:30:03

Miaou - I just printed it out and read it together with ds2 (nearly 6) - two verses each. He loved it, even without pictures, he was completely rapt!

(Then he asked what the poet was called and I said "Miaou", so now he thinks I'm completely bonkers!)

tammybear Sat 26-Feb-05 10:46:14

ooo i love that miaou, was really good. ill post one tonight when ive got a minute, just warn you, usually my stuffs quite depressing lol

expatkat Sun 27-Feb-05 14:45:34

Tammy, I'm dithering here. . .I feel like I should respond to your question because I work in the poetry publishing world (I'm a part-time editor at a London based literary magazine) plus I'm a "poet" myself, with a collection to be published in the US next year and, hopefully, distributed to some UK bookshops. But in another way I feel like I shouldn't respond to your query because I'm kinda jaded about the whole poetry publishing thing, and maybe you need someone more positive. Basically the distinguished magazines that publish poetry (London Review of Books, TLS, Poetry Review, Arete, The New Yorker, PN Review, Poetry London, Poetry Wales et al) accept no more than 1-2% of the submissions they receive. If a submission happens to contain "roses are red, violets are blue" type verse, or the kind of stuff that circulates the internet, they will literally throw it away upon reading the first two lines because (a) these mags are understaffed and (b) what they're looking for is work that reflects a familiarity with old and contemporary English-language poetry, and probably foreign poetry in translation, too. If what you write is more low-key, there is still probably a market for it, no doubt contained in the useful book that Miaou suggested, which lists practically all the periodicals that publish poetry.

If you've written a lot of poems and want to publish a book, then unfortunately you need to publish a lot of individual poems first, at least half of the poems contained in your collection. If you pursue this path, you have to expect (a) absolutely no money. Even when my work appeared in Poetry, the American mag where T.S. Eliot first published "Prufrock," I got something like $40 which was a mockery to the weeks I spent writing and revising that poem (b) absolutely no respect--no one cares if you've written or published a poem, and (c) loads of loads of rejection letters of which I, personally, have collected enough to build a replica of Mt Everest.

I'm know you've had a hard time of things, tammybear, so please forgive this less-than-sunny but HONEST explanation of the poetry world. I think there's more joy to be found in the writing and reading of poetry, than in the publishing. What I'd suggest is that you read loads of poetry, if you don't already, and--if it's possible to get away from the kids one night a week, say--take a class, or join a local writing group, just to get some feedback on the poems you're writing. I don't mean to sound patronizing, promise. . .it's the same advice I give myself

whymummy Wed 11-May-05 09:54:47

that was really good miaou,i will read it to my children tonight,i could illustrate it for you if you like

Clarinet60 Mon 23-May-05 13:46:45

I've only just read your poem mieow, and I think it's really good. Have you sent it out anywhere yet? ('cos I think you should.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now