Talk

Advanced search

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

(10 Posts)
LynetteScavo Thu 11-Sep-08 14:26:27

DS1 (9) has asked to see the film.

DH said "no way!" when the word holocaust was mentioned.

He's a good reader. Would the book be OK? So far he has no knowledge of the holocaust, half of me want to sheild him, half of me thinks he needs to know.

Nagapie Thu 11-Sep-08 14:29:27

The book is not bad and a good starting point ...

fatzak Thu 11-Sep-08 14:30:20

Tricky one isn't it. He would have to know about the holocaust to really understand it - then again I know that I read When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit when I was the same age as your DS and certainly had no knowledge of the holocaust.

LynetteScavo Thu 11-Sep-08 15:56:04

I think I'll read the book first and decide.

nannynick Thu 11-Sep-08 16:17:43

The book I felt was aimed at young readers. Bruno is age 8/9 in the book, so a 9 year old could relate to it quite well. It does not go into graphic detail, people just go missing. It is only at the end that there is a bit more mention about it.
I think if you had a chat with him about what happens in war time... people die, people aren't nice to each other... then let him decide if he wants to read a book which involves wartime and death.

I'm seeing the film tomorrow... it's been rated 12A for scenes of holocaust threat and horror. BBFC considered that the films content generally was suitable for 8 year old to watch, apart from the ending... which is why it's been rated 12A.

I would say that generally the book will be fine for a mature younger reader. But the last two chapters should be read with you present, should he wish to ask you questions, require assurance that it doesn't happen these days etc.

Yes, read the book first yourself... it's not that long.

brightwell Fri 12-Sep-08 14:36:04

I bought the book for my ds 10, he's started reading it and we're going to see the film on Sunday. He is interested in the first & second world wars and has a basic knowledge of the holocaust.

nannynick Fri 12-Sep-08 15:30:34

Just seen the film. The end scene is the distressing part. As an adult watching it, I could fill in the gaps for the things we weren't being shown.
If a child has been finding out about war and the holocaust, gas chambers, concentration camps, then I think the film will help make it all more real. But if a child know's nothing about it... best they don't see the film.
I expect this film will go to DVD quite quickly so it can be used in Schools, when they cover the holocaust.

nannynick Fri 12-Sep-08 15:47:40

Teaching Resources - children reading this book/wanting to see this film may want to have a look at this site.

Blu Fri 12-Sep-08 15:51:04

Amazon review...describes it as 'an unresearched cash-in of the worst sort'

nannynick Fri 12-Sep-08 16:05:59

That review is one persons take on it, and I suspect they were an adult reviewing a children's book.
The book isn't meant to be historically accurate. I feel it is meant to be away of getting children (KS3 particularly) to find out a little about the holocaust. It creates interest in the subject matter which the children then go on to study in more depth in their KS3 History lessons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now