Talk

Advanced search

Hamlet anyone?

(32 Posts)
annaje Wed 06-Aug-08 08:25:41

Just read the reviews for David Tennant in Hamlet at the RSC last night - seems like he was very good! Is anyone else going to see it. We have tickets for September (a gift for DH's birthday). DH is a huge Dr Who fan and a loves Hamlet, but I personally had enough Shakespeare shoved down my throat at school to last me a lifetime, so I am hoping Tennant 's charm will see me through without nodding off!

LIZS Wed 06-Aug-08 17:18:07

we're seeing Love's Labours Lost

Gizmo Wed 06-Aug-08 17:22:45

Sounds like a really good production - almost all the cast get a good write up. I finally managed to get some tickets for the London transfer, so I'm going to have to wait until December.

Have never really warmed to Hamlet as a play, but the only proper production I've seen before was rather poor, so I hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

jura Wed 06-Aug-08 17:27:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Thu 07-Aug-08 23:58:36

I'd like to see that production for Patrick Stewart's Claudius - a definitive interpretation apparently
I wonder how Jude will fare jura - Hamlet is one of my favourite plays and I do think it is a role that really sorts the (trained) sheep from the (soap star ascendant) goats tbh. I don't warm to DT as an actor but he is technically very accomplished, so it's good but not surprising he has done so well in the role. He did Romeo for the RSC some years ago.

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 00:06:41

Fauve Fri 08-Aug-08 00:37:58

Ds is doing Romeo and Juliet for GCSE so I'm thinking of doing Westside Story at Wimbledon Theatre. The David TEnnant angle is like Lee Mead in Joseph isn't it? Or it is for me, with a 10 yo dd.

Jude Law would be of interest to me, but not to dd, since he hasn't done Reality TV or Dr Who.

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 00:44:29

LynetteScavo Fri 08-Aug-08 00:47:06

Oh, I thought you were offering me a late night cigar!

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 00:49:19

LynetteScavo Fri 08-Aug-08 00:50:23

grin

Fauve Fri 08-Aug-08 01:14:39

Hello, Jura, I've been offline for quite a while <<whispers: or under cover>>. My Dad has died after having cancer for a year, and it's all been rather traumatic and time-consuming. However, MN is my comfort and my joy, and I'm back, now... be prepared to hear of my trials and tribulations grin

aquasea Fri 08-Aug-08 05:27:38

Jude Law playing Hamlet shock Urgh.

jura Sat 09-Aug-08 15:42:02

Fauve Sat 09-Aug-08 21:12:39

Thanks, Jura - not really yet, but I'm getting there.

LuP Thu 21-Aug-08 15:33:06

I went up to Stratford to see Hamlet with David Tennant in it and it's absolutely fantastic. Great verse-speaking, really clear story-telling and (not that I've seen it hundreds of times) lots of things that I've found a bit confusing before all making sense. One of the best things I can say about it is that it's not 'David Tennant plays Hamlet' it's more 'fantastic actor who happens to be David Tennant plays Hamlet' IYSWIM.

Enjoy, it really is a superb production with amazing performances all round. The guy who plays the player king has got the most astounding diction and projection I think I've ever heard and he must be approaching his 70s.

Lu smile

norksinmywaistband Mon 08-Sep-08 12:21:07

Did anyone see The Factory at the Globe on Saturday night - Hamlet( not too much of a hijack) It was fab cant wait to find out where their next gig will be

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Fri 12-Sep-08 10:53:12

Marina Fri 12-Sep-08 10:55:43

I keep seeing that as the Higgs Bosom jura
Good luck with your shopping

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Fri 12-Sep-08 11:19:28

annh Fri 12-Sep-08 11:57:59

Jura, I feel your pain! I have been trying phone and online since just after 10 a.m. and the further I have got so far is choosing a date. At this rate, Hamlet will have come and gone before I manage to actually buy anything!

cheesesarnie Fri 12-Sep-08 11:59:48

id love to see it.love hamlet and can imagine dt in it.but sadly no.

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Fri 12-Sep-08 13:07:53

annh Fri 12-Sep-08 13:20:21

Yes, I got about as far as you Jura. Except my phone message is from BT and says the system is busy. Very frustrating.

annh Fri 12-Sep-08 13:22:04

Umm, the website now says it has sold out! Hope all those Doctor Who fans realise it is 3.5 hours of Shakespeare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now