Talk

Advanced search

Which London show (on now) should I go and see?

(19 Posts)
CantSleepWontSleep Sun 13-Jul-08 21:55:19

Birthday in a couple of weeks, so ideal excuse to get dh to arrange something, as I'm not likely to get out again for a long while once ds arrives.

So what's worth seeing?

Not even sure what's on at the moment, but have already seen The Sound Of Music and The Lion King, and on Broadway have seen Beauty And The Beast, The Producers and Wicked.

So what else might I like? I guess Joseph would be a contender, but is there something more inspiring?

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 13-Jul-08 22:05:28

Oh yes, have seen Chicago and Phantom too.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 17-Jul-08 09:05:39

Does no-one have any recommendations?

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 09:07:25

I'll text my sister and ask her

Earlybird Thu 17-Jul-08 09:09:27

Suggest you look at old threads in Culture Vultures for ideas. Sadly, I'm now out of London so haven't been to theatre in a long time and can't recommend.

The Wizard of Oz is opening soon, and that sounds as if it might appeal based on others you listed.

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 10:45:16

She says Billy Elliot

smartiejake Thu 17-Jul-08 10:46:55

I know someone who saw Billy Elliot recently and thought it was wonderful.

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 10:49:34

avenue q?

thumbwitch Thu 17-Jul-08 10:49:52

we will Rock you - if you like Queen music, that is. And Ben Elton's humour. Great show!

Bunch Thu 17-Jul-08 10:50:27

Mousetrap. Fantastic!

101handbags Thu 17-Jul-08 16:04:54

Cabaret. Brilliant.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 17-Jul-08 20:51:28

Thanks for suggestions everyone - have had to look some of them up to find out more!

Bit unsure about Billy Elliot - got bored with the film so didn't manage to watch it right through blush. Is the show very different?

Wizard of Oz def appeals - couldn't find start date when I was searching before, but looks like it's only a week away, so could be a contender.

Avenue q I'm going to go and read more about - knew nothing of it, but a quick google makes it look 'interesting' hmm.

Not a Queen fan, so WWRY ruled out.

Mousetrap is an interesting proposition. A bit diff to the rest, but certainly worthy of consideration.

Cabaret - is it very 'war-ish' - that would put me off tbh?

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 22:26:29

The only thing I know about avenue q is this sorry for warcraft version!

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 22:29:03

harry potter version

ladystardust Thu 24-Jul-08 19:55:16

Definitely Hairspray.
Best BEST fun feelgood night out in London.
Billy Elliott also good.
Cabaret good but you may cry - I did.
I'd go for Hairspray - no contest.

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 19:58:29

That Zorro thing has had good advance word
Marguerite, with the excellent Ruthie Henshall in, also looks interesting
My personal choice would be Damon Albarn's Chinese opera, "Monkey - Escape to the West" on at the Royal Opera House, saw a TV documentary about its premiere in Manchester and it looked fantastic - or The Merry Wives of Windsor at the Globe. Played at farce speed, cracking cast, great direction by Tim Luscombe

Ewe Thu 24-Jul-08 20:00:19

Avenue Q is brilliant!!

domesticslattern Thu 24-Jul-08 20:35:46

Another vote for Avenue Q

nancy75 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:37:29

woman in black is brilliant, but ver feel good, its very scary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now