Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recognise either of these?

(5 Posts)
TinyGang Sun 30-Jan-05 14:29:05

There are two poems (quite different ones!), which I heard ages ago and can't quite remember who they're by or what they are called. Anyone recognise either of these?

1. A poem about a woman packing for a holiday and she keeps changing her mind about what clothes to take, and gets so mixed up she decides to stay at home after all.

2. A poem, by I think Vita Sackville-West (but possibly not) about how you should not try to alter or change those you love.

Sound familiar to anyone...?

You probably think I'm mad, but they've been nagging away at the back of my mind, so thought I'd ask on mn

edam Sun 30-Jan-05 15:06:08

You aren't thinking of the poem that includes the lines 'love alters not when it alteration finds...' for the second one are you? Don't think that's Vita although helpfully can't remember the author!

edam Sun 30-Jan-05 15:07:50

duh! the one I'm thinking about is Shakespeare, of course!

TinyGang Sun 30-Jan-05 15:19:51

Thanks Edam! I think I know the one you mean (Shakespeare?) because I keep coming back to that one too, but I've got it in my head that the one I'm thinking of is more modern. I half heard it in the background on the radio ages ago. I think it must be a topic that's been done since by other poets too. It's so annoying!

edam Sun 30-Jan-05 15:43:59

Sonnet 116:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now