Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Belly dancing - shall I......shan't I......dare I?

(19 Posts)
PrettyCandles Thu 20-Sep-07 11:16:28

I've just heard about a local belly-dancing class. I'm so so so tempted, but I'm fat fat overweight, hideously unfit, and tragically uncoordinated.

Oh shall I? Or will I humiliate myself utterly?

TotalChaos Thu 20-Sep-07 11:17:41

Yes! Give it a go, IME it's suitable for all shapes, tends to attract a wide range of shapes and ages.

Cappuccino Thu 20-Sep-07 11:18:48

no you will be fine

you need bits to wobble

MamaG Thu 20-Sep-07 11:18:58

Go. Tis good for you and you'll have a larf.

Don't forget your nipple tassles though

PrettyCandles Thu 20-Sep-07 11:38:06

Oh god don't talk to me about nipple tassles - ds2 has discovered that he can get an instant reaction out of me if he tries to tune me to Radio 4!

Have you done bellydancing TotalC?

Cappuccino Thu 20-Sep-07 14:46:34

tell you what darlin

I used to go pre-kids but the class got too expensive

I actually have a blue proper belly dancing scarf with little jingly coins on

if you go I will send it ya

I mean it

Nemo2007 Thu 20-Sep-07 14:49:06

oh go I used to and it was fab..great fun I am and was very overweight but it didnt matter as you dont have to show anything off,

Hallgerda Fri 21-Sep-07 10:32:38

I would have thought the extra flesh would help to hold the ruby in, PrettyCandles grin.

I know nothing about belly dancing, but it's generally better to take the risk of trying new things - what do you really have to lose?

GlendaSlagg Fri 21-Sep-07 10:34:28

Sounds like a larf. And you'll probably meet some fun people too. Do it!

mixedmama Thu 04-Oct-07 08:32:55

Definitely do it, I love belly danicng have done it many many times before.

FromGirders Thu 04-Oct-07 08:58:28

Go, it's great! We have all shapes and sizes in our class, and some of the best dancers I've seen have been on the large size. You don't need to show off any skin you don't want to, and nipple tassles are NOT necessary. In fact, in all the classes I've been to or even heard about, they would be frowned upon.
Belly dancing is about women dancing for themselves and other women (although this doesn't stop our class performing in public) - IT IS NOT LAP DANCING!!shock!!
It's also really good exercise - you'll be using muscles you didn't know you had, and your pelvic floor.

mixedmama Thu 04-Oct-07 09:02:46

Second everything FromGirder said. Cannot stress enough how great it is and definitely the best dancers are not really the skinny ones (altho they can be cool as well). It is abso lutely greta you dont even feel like you are exercising or anything, just having fun.

SSSandy2 Thu 04-Oct-07 09:08:00

ah go on , give it a bash.

Do you like the music? I could only dance to something if I liked the music.

bumperlicious Thu 04-Oct-07 09:11:56

I used to do it (though my class was taught by a mad welsh lady!) and it was great fun! You won't humiliate yourself I promise!

GreebosWhiskers Thu 04-Oct-07 09:17:01

I'd love to go but apparently the lady who runs our local class insists that they take part in all the summer galas around here & I'm not sure I could handle performing in front of people I only vaguely know (or even worse - in front of ex-h, his wife & my teenage ddsshock)

SSSandy2 Thu 04-Oct-07 09:18:12

yeah but you could always be sick, couldn't you?

mixedmama Thu 04-Oct-07 09:22:48

She cant force you. Agree it is important to like the music then you willd efo enjoy it.

FromGirders Thu 04-Oct-07 10:28:05

Yes, if you don't want to perform then you don't have to. But we often find that newbies in our class need quite a lot of coaxing to go on a stage, but once they starrt performing, it's hard to get them to stop! You don't know you have a diva gene until you try it out.
The first time is the worst, after that it's just exciting!

FromGirders Fri 05-Oct-07 14:15:39

So did you? Did you enjoy it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now