Talk

Advanced search

We are going to see Julian Lloyd-Webber on Saturday

(6 Posts)
RosaLuxembourg Mon 10-Sep-07 21:46:29

Or do I mean hear him? Anyway DD2's cello teacher got free tickets for all her pupils and I got tickets for DD1 and myself - but best of all DD2 and her fellow cellists get to go backstage at the interval and meet him.
Really looking forward to it. I don't even know what he'll be playing, but we rarely get a chance to hear proper musicians in our neck of the woods so it will be a real treat whatever.

Marina Mon 10-Sep-07 21:48:30

He does a lot to promote the teaching of classical musicianship in schools so I am sure he'll be really great with his interval visitors
If this is a "pops" style concert for younger concert goers hopefully he'll do some of the Elgar and maybe one of the Bach Suites

RosaLuxembourg Mon 10-Sep-07 21:52:56

No Marina - it is not specifically aimed at younger people.
The last couple of classical concerts I took the DDs to here had an average audience age of 85.
In fact in the interval of one of them DD1 asked in an unnecessarily penetrating tone
MUMMY WHY IS EVERYONE ELSE IN THE AUDIENCE SO OLD?
She wasn't wrong, there was one other dad there with his daughter and nobody else in the entire auditorium was under retirement age.

Marina Mon 10-Sep-07 21:55:42

I think you are in London, there are some good concerts at the LSO's "education and outreach" venue, St Luke's, on the northern fringes of the City (v. near Old St station)
If she is discombobulated by seeing so many old people wink

RosaLuxembourg Mon 10-Sep-07 22:04:35

Marina we used to live in London but moved to the far south-west four years ago. It is great for the children in many ways - beaches, moors, small town friendliness etc -but live culture is available only in the chiller cabinets in Tesco.
I try to bring the children to London once a year and fit in six museums, a ballet and a concert in 48 hours (come on children walk faster, we need to get from the British Museum to the South Bank in less than 10 minutes) so will bear your suggestion in mind for then.
Actually she wasn't discombobulated so much as interested in where everyone else was. I told her classical music could be something that people enjoyed more as they got older to which her entirely logical response was 'well I'm a child and I like it.'

RosaLuxembourg Thu 20-Sep-07 11:10:45

Just wanted to add - J L-W was completely fab - he spent the interval signing autographs and did three encores. The children loved it and an old couple came up to me afterwards - who had been sitting near DD2 (she was in the front row with the other cello students) to say how impressed they were with how beautifully she behaved [very, very proud mummy].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now