Talk

Advanced search

Not exactly highbrow, but...any advice on good family musicals?

(17 Posts)
RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:02:44

My plan for this Xmas (don't shout at me, I need to book early!!!) is to take entire extended family to a show instead of doing gifts.

Ages range from 2 to 40, so q a mixed bag. The Lion King seems obvious, but most of us have seen it.

So, my question is any reccommendations?

aloha Tue 14-Aug-07 15:03:25

Two is tricky in the theatre IME. What about a pantomime instead?

Earlybird Tue 14-Aug-07 15:04:55

My dd loved Mamma Mia. Some of it a little bit suggestive, but it went straight over her head.

We bought an Abba Greatest Hits cd in advance, so she was familiar with the songs, and bounced/sang along all the way through the show.

RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:08:12

DD3 (2yo) is q an experienced theatre goer! I actually think she would cope with a matinee v well.

We usually do a panto as a family, but I am changing Xmas this year after several years of bereavements - so want to do something different. We are going away even. My sisters have gone into shock as need to cater for their own families!

Mamma Mia sounds fun - they do love a bit of dancing queen! Not sure my nephews would be so enthusiastic. Bit tricky

Earlybird Tue 14-Aug-07 15:10:12

If you're going to see the show around Christmas, you could go to see a Christmas show. We've seen 'The Snowman' the past 3 years, and dd loves it.

Otherwise, what about Mary Poppins or Sound Of Music? But, don't think a 2 year old would manage those tbh...

Grozzit Tue 14-Aug-07 15:12:09

My friend was booking tickets for Joseph and the theatre has a lower age limit of 4. No one younger was allowed in due to insurance.

I hadnt heard this before but it may be worth checking out before you buy!

RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:14:39

Crikey - had not given age limit a thought!

I cannot watch SoM - it was what I went to see on my last ever trip out with my mum, so would be pathetic wreck.

Have just checked M Poppins at 2 hours which dd has managed before (obv gifted culture vulture), but insurance thing could be an issue.

charmkin Tue 14-Aug-07 15:18:37

joseph

RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:20:26

I just thought of Joseph - my sister grumbled 'it's a bit religious isn't it?' . Clealy the cultural appreciation of dd is not genetic!

I think Joseph might be best chance though

islandofsodor Tue 14-Aug-07 15:24:58

Mary Poppins is not suitable for something like under 7's (I think). It has a very scary extra scene not in the film. The website will tell you the age.

Grozzit Tue 14-Aug-07 15:26:48

Joseph is brill

Yes there is a religous element but you can ignore it, its not in your face

Lee Mead is excellant - and the loin cloth - bonus!

RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:32:11

OH crikey. I thought I had found easyway of avoiding xmas shopping.

Grozzit Tue 14-Aug-07 15:32:19

just had a look for you Ruby

the info on ticketmaster site says no children under 5 will be admitted

www.ticketmaster.co.uk/venue/280058/

Not sure if this is standard, have to say i have seen lots of little ones at the theatre.

lailasmum Tue 14-Aug-07 15:32:26

There are a lot of christmas shows like the snowman since QDOS lost some of their pantos. So may just be worth looking around in your area. How about the sound of music? Lots of the theatres don't like very small chldren though.

lailasmum Tue 14-Aug-07 15:42:21

If you are in london then The Polka Theatre has some kids shows on at christmas, they are doing the princess and the pea and The BFG.

Marina Tue 14-Aug-07 15:43:42

Tintin in Tibet is being revived. It's a show with movement and music, not a musical as such, but Ruby, it is brilliant

RubyRioja Tue 14-Aug-07 15:58:27

My dds do love a musical - current fave guys and dolls would you believe!

Panto would be easier with a littly, just desperate for a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now