Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

aloha....the god delusion.....there ain't much that would get me off a sunlounger in france to post on here...

(12 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Fri 29-Jun-07 13:14:10

but blardy hell.

am half way through.

SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL.

I am so annoyed by this book.

I of COURSE find myself in agreement on almost every point, that idiot creationists are idiots, that the hypocrisy and facility of most churchmen's justifications for a god are annoying in the extreme, that much evil has been done in the name of religion, that monotheism is problematic, that the bible is at best a allegory blah blah blah blah.

but does he engage with intelligent debate on whether there is a higher/supernatural power (that we are all connected to and part of ) NO.

and frankly he has a nasty nasty habit of skimming over anything that doesn't suit his argument....so for example, he uses the founding fathers' secular state ideals a lot, however, chooses to skim the fact that jefferson etc were deists.....his argument against such a position (deist as opposed to theist) is totally unconvincing...half hearted even.

NOT what i thought it would be at all, and certainly in no way a convicing argument against the existence of a god, although very convincing on the evils religion.

if i start grinding my teeth on holiday it's cause of you btw.

suzywong Fri 29-Jun-07 13:15:56

best get yourself a Jilly Cooper from Carrefore

Marina Fri 29-Jun-07 13:19:56

I have always thought the man is a charlatan as you say, focuses on the easy targets.
I like a good atheist perspective but not the foam-flecked variety.
If your French is up to it find a copy of Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise instead

prufrock Fri 29-Jun-07 13:20:04

sophable - could have writen this myself. I especialy hated "well yes jefferson said he was religious, but I know that he didn't really mean it"

I actually downoaded it onto my IPod rather than buying teh book so couldn't even throw it away in anger!

FluffyMummy123 Fri 29-Jun-07 13:21:02

Message withdrawn

Marina Fri 29-Jun-07 13:21:32

LOLOL I'd sooner read Piers Morgan than Richard Dawkins any day

FluffyMummy123 Fri 29-Jun-07 13:21:49

Message withdrawn

Marina Fri 29-Jun-07 13:23:03

I passed on dh's Almanac des Pecheurs de France 2007 cod

Sobernow Fri 29-Jun-07 13:33:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeBug Fri 29-Jun-07 13:39:16

I haven't read that one (and I'm probably not going to) but half way through the Ancestors Tale I deceided that RD needs a really good editor to tell him he can make his point in, ooh, about a quarter of the number of words he's using. The longer his books get, the less he seems to have to say. Maybe what happens when people get very very well known? No-one tells them they're going on and on??

BikeBug Fri 29-Jun-07 13:40:00

oops that moved on rather in the 10 mins it took me to settle ds back into his nap!

Heathcliffscathy Fri 29-Jun-07 20:53:09

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now