Talk

Advanced search

What did you all really think to Hamilton?

(86 Posts)
EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 11:56:44

Does it live up to its hype?

I saw it last night and it was lovely to see so many young in the audience. Its fab but im not convinced its the best think ive ever seen. The production was incredible and slick but it just went on a wee bit too long for me 😟. I understand im the only person in the world that feels like this😃

PhannyMcNee Thu 20-Dec-18 18:44:24

I have similar feelings about The Lion King. Looked at Hamilton tickets but couldn’t justify it

KittyClaus Thu 20-Dec-18 18:47:20

I liked it but I didn’t come out of it blown away. I saw Heathers The Musical in its recent West End run and that left me giddy. Loved it so much, probably the best musical I’ve ever seen.

AwkwardAsAllGetout Thu 20-Dec-18 18:49:59

I really enjoyed it but found the theatre was unbearably hot. Never had that problem in the theatre before, but the second half was so uncomfortable as I was sweating buckets and I’m normally a notoriously cold person! People around us were desperately fanning themselves too so it wasn’t just me

CandyMelts Thu 20-Dec-18 18:55:08

Oh I loved it, been listening to the soundtrack since. Did get a little confused in 2nd half and Burr not as good as recordings I'd heard, but it was fab.

GeorgeBailey2 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:59:24

LOVED IT hated Wicked though and slept through most of it (so did modtvouf row)

Beach11 Thu 20-Dec-18 19:02:26

I enjoyed it but I think it’s because it’s so different. I wouldn’t go back to see it or make recommendations for people to see it as it’s such a required taste.

Would like to see Jamie

AlbertWinestein Thu 20-Dec-18 19:02:43

I love it and have seen it 3 times, but all on Broadway. I got to see Lin-Manuel in the title role and he blew me away. I’ve always wondered how it translates to the London stage.

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 19:18:40

Not as well I bet. I spent all the show wishing I’d seen it off Broadway when I was there on holiday.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 20-Dec-18 19:24:12

I’ve heard bits and it sounds a bit too cheesy for me. He’s now on R4 showcasing his cocker-nee accent from Mary Poppins that is askin to Dick Van Dykes!

He was funny on Curb your Enthusiasm - it took a while to click that he was the real Hamilton guy!

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:30:22

I loves Hamilton

Know it word for word

However I felt this way about Matilda

Finally saw it this year.

Massive let down

Even now looking back it only has 1 good song/set piece

And those sections in the library drag on and are boring as fuck

One of my favourite books as a child too

The person I went with was disappointed as well. Impressive from the children - the scale of performance they put on, but that's about all to commend it

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:34:33

I think you know if US Politics particularly historical US Politics ain't your bag you are never going to love Hamilton

The references and in jokes he's managed to get in there too, from copying the parameter styles of a whole variety of rappers to give individuals a "tone" to copious West Wing references, it is so clever, but only if you also know the references otherwise you'd just be like hmm

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:35:19

Everybody's Talking About Jamie was fab

Babayaggatheboneylegged Thu 20-Dec-18 19:46:20

I’m really not into musicals, but had to go to Hamilton last week. It was a client entertaining thing, so I didn’t pay for the tickets. Thankfully.

Because of the hype, I wondered if it would be so amazing, it would be the musical that changed my mind about musicals.

Alas, no. It was SO FRIGGING LONG.

And all the whoops of theatrical (hur-hur) laughter from the audience whenever the king came onstage really got on my tits, because he REALLY wasn’t that funny!

It could’ve been half as long and i’d’ve been more than happy.

Mymycherrypie Thu 20-Dec-18 19:50:41

opinionatedfreak agreed, try hard is the perfect way to describe it.

I saw a grass roots urban Shakespeare group do some seriously amazing rapping once. This felt really contrived in comparison and I felt uncomfortable having BME performers singing songs written by a Latino man, performing for a white majority audience.

That said, some were really good songs and I liked the RATM style song by George washington!

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 20:03:21

All I could think about was a Larry David falling asleep during it in Curb your Enthusiasm

AlbertWinestein Thu 20-Dec-18 20:10:04

A Latino man who grew up on the edge of Washington heights, to be fair. I think describing Hamilton as try hard is pushing it a bit!

Mymycherrypie Thu 20-Dec-18 20:13:48

Ok. Inauthentic then. Made palatable for a white audience.

AlbertWinestein Fri 21-Dec-18 05:48:21

Inauthentic?! Ok, this is like the most pretentious thread I’ve read in a while. For a start, you’re completely disregarding what Hamilton is about, the city it originated in and the fact that the diversity of the cast is half the reason it exists. If that doesn’t translate across the ocean, that’s just bad casting.

Rap has been talking to a white audience for decades. Im in my mid 40s, grew up in rural England and can still happily sit and talk about every single rap reference in the musical as that’s the stuff we grew up on!

Branleuse Fri 21-Dec-18 07:57:16

@albertwinestein i totally agree.

Theperfectchangeling Fri 21-Dec-18 10:35:13

“Inauthentic?! Ok, this is like the most pretentious thread I’ve read in a while. For a start, you’re completely disregarding what Hamilton is about, the city it originated in and the fact that the diversity of the cast is half the reason it exists. If that doesn’t translate across the ocean, that’s just bad casting. ”

hmm see my earlier post, re; drowned kittens!

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Dec-18 22:24:35

Lin-Manuel Is on Graham Norton tonight.

SarahBeeney Fri 21-Dec-18 22:30:41

You would have seen the new cast as they changed about 3 weeks ago.

I enjoyed it but my DP wasn't blown away.

It was very slick and I find it interesting musically (I'm a musician).

I liked the fact that it wasn't cheesy nor did it have loads of set changes or special effects.

Mymycherrypie Fri 21-Dec-18 22:37:04

* Im in my mid 40s, grew up in rural England and can still happily sit and talk about every single rap reference in the musical as that’s the stuff we grew up on!*

That’s partly what I mean. It sounded old already. Very early 2000’s. Eminem, TLC, Rage Against the Machine... Authentic urban music isn’t like that now and especially not in performing arts. You are precisely the audience this musical is targeted at. People only think it’s a refreshing change from other musicals because they haven’t seen anything like this but it does exist, it’s just not as hyped up and you have to seek it out. How many young black men and women were in the audience I wonder? Mostly white people in their 30’s-50’s. Why? Because it’s not authentic, new or particularly engaging.

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Dec-18 22:45:44

No there were manny, many teens there we were shocked. Really posh teens my nieces would never beable to go at £75 a pop. And yes 90% white but thars always the case in the west end. I dont know the answer to that.

dellacucina Fri 21-Dec-18 23:05:22

I thought it was very ambitious and laudable for that, not unassailably amazing in all ways.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »