Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Country music albums

(12 Posts)
abra Sat 16-Jun-07 11:33:59

Recently I have been listening to almost nothing except Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and Trisha Yearwood. All 'Best of' type compilation albums. Now I'd like to buy a few proper country albums but there is so much on amazon I've no idea what to buy. Can anyone recommend a few good country albums? I'm afraid I don't have an iPod or MP3 player. I'm a luddite who still likes CDs.

DontCallMeBaby Sat 16-Jun-07 11:46:48

One thing you can do, is go to pandora.com and set yourself up a 'radio station' based on one or more of the artists you've discovered you like (or on a specific track). It will find you related tracks that you might like.

I'm not much into country, but I would recommend the Be Good Tanyas for a modern take on the genre, like them a lot.

Earlybird Sat 16-Jun-07 11:47:17

Listen online to the Dixie Chicks to see if you like it. You could also check out some Garth Brooks (Mr. Trisha Yearwood) to see if it appeals. Nanci Griffith has historically had a good following in Ireland especially, and you might enjoy her music. The album that got everyone hopping recently was the first Gretchen Wilson album - the one with Redneck Woman on it.

Let me know if you like any of those. I'm happy to come up with other suggestions should you want them.

Califrau Sun 17-Jun-07 05:51:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Sun 17-Jun-07 05:53:32

mamama Sun 17-Jun-07 05:59:05

Oooo, I LOVE Austin, TX

Califrau Sun 17-Jun-07 06:01:31

geekgrrl Sun 17-Jun-07 06:38:54

Johnny Cash live at San Quentin and Johnny Cash live at Folsom Prison are fab - you can really feel the atmosphere - lots of excitement from the crowd whenever there's violence or killing mentioned

mamama Sun 17-Jun-07 13:51:43

I'd happily live in a shack in Austin. It is a very civilized city - almost European. And the bats are fab! (and it has the best Whole Foods in the world - their flagship store is amazing)

elkiedee Tue 26-Jun-07 22:21:10

Nanci Griffith, Rosanne Cash, Laura Cantrell, Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris, Loretta Lynn, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt.

Try the library and see what they have on offer.

There are two magazines published here about country music, I buy Maverick every month - have recently bought a subscription as I'm in no position any more to spend time pottering around music and bookshops in central London with a very new baby in tow.

Will your computer play music? - an ipod isn't essential to listen to mp3s.

margoandjerry Tue 26-Jun-07 22:27:14

I don't know if this counts but I love Willie Nelson...I just have a best of album but it's great.

abra Wed 04-Jul-07 18:42:12

Margoandjerry, I actually ordered a Willie Nelson compilation from amazon.com soon after I started the thread. Looking forward to hearing it. Earlybird-I do like Garth Brooks too, especially the duets with Trisha Yearwood on the album of her that I own. Thanks everyone else for other suggestions. I will make a wishlist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now