Talk

Advanced search

What's the best play you've seen this year (London)

(31 Posts)
stirling Fri 12-Oct-18 10:03:16

Hi,
Looking for theatre play recommendations and curious to see what others have enjoyed.
I'm not much of a musical fan although my children and I loved Matilda.
Seen so many dreary plays in recent years that I have stopped going to theatre, but a friend is coming to town and we'd like to see something good.
A few months ago I saw 'a comedy about a bank robbery' it was cheesy and just awful. Also remember seeing the Queen musical (we will rock you?) and left halfway.

In the past I have loved Stones in his pockets - intelligent, funny and so well scripted.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

stirling Sat 13-Oct-18 18:06:46

Anyone?

Wigeon Sat 13-Oct-18 18:12:59

Brief Encounter (the play) was reay good. I’m hoping to see Wise Children by the same Director. Going to see Strictly Ballroom in a couple of weeks, even though the reviews are a bit mixed, because it’s about to end and because I love watching all the dancing on Strictly on the telly! blush grin. Also reckon I’m not Running looks like it could be good but I had a bit of a surfeit of political plays a while ago and not sure I can manage another one!

Or how about the Globe? Always worth going there.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Oct-18 18:30:09

Off to see the Wipers Times - written by Ian Hislop in a couple of weeks

I saw 3 plays at the National this summer - 'Exit the King' was the worst even though Rhys Ifans was fantastic in it. Just the most horribly anxsty self indulgent twaddle of shite.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Oct-18 18:31:05

The best so far this year was the completely amazing Toby Jones in 'The Birthday Party' - he was spellbinding

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Oct-18 18:34:45

Actually Dh has just said his favourite play this year was either 'quiz' (about Ingram in who wants to be a millionaire) or 'Ink' (about Rupert Murdoch)

The guy who played Murdoch was incredible . Really well written play - seen all
of Graham's plays.

BeardedMum Sat 13-Oct-18 18:37:30

Brief Encounter or Emilia at The Globe.

I saw Wise Children yesterday but although I cannot put my finger on why it just left me a bit cold. Its quite a dark play.

I also have tickets for A christmas Carol at the globe. Might be worth a try unless they are sold out?

PawneeParksDept Sat 13-Oct-18 18:43:26

In the last few years the ones I travelled to London for that are still going are :

Hamilton
Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

Both must sees in my opinion

stirling Sat 13-Oct-18 19:48:28

Fantastic! I have plenty of plays I'm not familiar with to now go off and Google.
Really appreciate the replies all... Thank you

chorusline79 Sat 13-Oct-18 19:58:14

Went to see wise children at the old Vic this week and I both loved and hated bits of it. The music was incredible.

Saw brief encounter staged at the Empire cinema back in March and absolutely loved it - funny, sweet and quirky, and brilliant music as well.

Oh and John at the national theatre, brilliant acting and very uncomfortable to watch!

LaGruffaloGrumble Sat 13-Oct-18 20:04:42

Heathers The Musical.

Funny, clever, dark and with an amazing energy and cast unlike anything I’ve seen in a theatre for years. Saw it and fell in love with it - texted non-musical loving DH in the interval to say he had to come and see it too and we came back a few weeks later and he fell in love too.

If you’re ok with musicals with a twisted edge then I can’t recommend it enough.

SmilingButClueless Sat 13-Oct-18 20:10:42

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was amazing. Not usually a fan of straight plays but would go and see that again (wouldn’t see both parts on the same day again, though - the seats get very hard!)

I also quite liked The Mousetrap, although I know that isn’t to everyone’s taste.

EmeraldVillage Sat 13-Oct-18 20:16:28

Hamilton

thinkfast Sat 13-Oct-18 22:12:10

Hamilton
Forty second street

If you like musicals... some of the plays recommended above aren't on any more

LaurieFairyCake Sun 14-Oct-18 08:33:58

There is some amazing stuff coming up next year - I've booked to see 'All About Eve' with Gillian Anderson and whatsherface (Cinderella) as Eve - that will be cracking!

Also booked 'All my sons' with Sally Field - and I think Jeff Bridges ? - I adore Sally Field, she's an incredible actress

BeardedMum Sun 14-Oct-18 08:55:35

I have also booked All about Eve and can’t wait!

I would also have a look at theatres like The Chocolate Menier Factory. I have booked for both their next plays A pack of lies and Fiddler on the Roof. Also The Bridge Theatre and the Park Theatre have some good playsif you look at their website. Depends what you like - plays or musicals....

Manzana Sun 14-Oct-18 08:58:14

The Height of the Storm with Jonathan Pryce and Eileen Atkins. Although a play about loss it had humour and riveting acting.

Marmelised Sun 14-Oct-18 09:04:01

Hamilton. Don’t usually like musicals but this isn’t a standard musical.cannot recommend too highly

stirling Mon 15-Oct-18 20:03:15

Thanks again everyone. I'm trying to get tickets for The Height of the Storm or failing that brief encounter.
Hamilton also sounds like my kind of thing.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 21-Oct-18 00:29:21

I thosight that Hamilton was one of the best pieces of theatre I have ever seen. It’s not necessarily my favourite show,but as a piece of theatre it is phenomenal.

I also loved Everybody’s Talking About Jamie.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 21-Oct-18 00:31:41

Well I'm not going to be any help; I came on to tell you to see A Comedy about a Bank Robbery! We laughed like drains. Hey ho.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 08:24:07

I've just booked for 'about a bank robbery'. Tell me please, how bad is it? Money back bad?

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 08:27:09

Oh Iheart, that's reassuring. I'll keep my booking then, thanks.

BigGreenOlives Thu 08-Nov-18 08:28:29

I went to see The Inheritance Part 1 and really enjoyed it. I’m going to see The Height of the Storm next and then the second part of The Inheritance. The cheap seats for The Inheritance are fine (I think we paid £16 each). I enjoyed Hamilton, DD (17) really liked The Jungle. Follies is coming back to the National & that was fabulous. Can’t remember what else I’ve been to, anything before the school summer holidays seems a blur.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 08:33:53

'Allelujah' at the Bridge, Alan Bennett. Saw this last week via cinecast. It was as entertaining as any other Alan Bennett but the audience, including me, was pretty much all 60+, all of us having a vested interest in the subject. Set in a geriatric ward of a hospital marked for closure, it sounds a lot more grim than it was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »