Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Right then ladies - a new Proms season - anyone else going?

(44 Posts)
jura Wed 09-May-07 21:31:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Wed 09-May-07 21:40:10

tangarine Wed 09-May-07 21:48:29

Hi Jura,

I'm a long-term lurker on here.

I got the book last week. My first go at a short list avoiding holiday plans etc was:

1 - Elgar/Beethoven
Either 9 - Ravel/Berlioz or 11 - Debussy/Saint Sens/Faure
31 - Brahms/Elgar/Strauss
49 - Duke Bluebeard's Castle, and
59 - Tchaikovsky/Prokofiev

Do you prom or sit? I usually get seats these days .

MrsJohnCusack Wed 09-May-07 22:02:08

jura Wed 09-May-07 22:06:26

jura Wed 09-May-07 22:10:54

tangarine Wed 09-May-07 22:23:31

Hi Jura,

I'm not mad on Bartok, but I do like to get a bit of voice in among the rest of the music! I saw Duke BB's Castle performed at the ENO a few years ago and enjoyed it then. I lent my proms book to a friend so she can decide on hers, then I'll have another go through.

I must also get around to booking for the Globe this summer in between the proms and summer hols. I went for the first time last year and loved it. Ds's school have been working with the Globe so he has actually been on stage there. I'm planning to take him to Othello on Sunday if the weather is dry while ds2 is at a birthday party.

Bink Thu 10-May-07 10:45:45

Hello Jura! - I've got my book too now.

We're away when the Blue Peter proms are on - but you know, you're right, nothing could really compare with the Dalek, and the levitation to the Sorcerer's Apprentice ... last year's wasn't quite a hit as the year before - so don't entirely mind having to miss out on that this time.

Perhaps they're now old enough for something not specially laid on for kids - of the other programmes, what do you think might be child-friendly? - eg with something to watch as well as listen to, or with a bit of drama, would be good.

jura Thu 10-May-07 13:44:15

jura Wed 16-May-07 00:16:35

Jessicatmagnificat Wed 16-May-07 09:09:29

What day is Faure's Requiem? I have a young baby, so won't be able to go, but I will make a note to listen to Radio 3.

jura Wed 16-May-07 12:26:07

tangarine Thu 24-May-07 21:48:53

Hi Jura,

I applied for Faure and Beethoven 9 (first night rather than later in the season) so if we get lucky I will "see" you there.

jura Thu 24-May-07 22:57:54

jura Thu 07-Jun-07 09:24:26

tangarine Thu 07-Jun-07 22:04:48

Jura,

Me too - got all mine and am also in the circle for the Beethoven. See you there!

Issy Mon 11-Jun-07 20:52:42

My company has a share in a fantastic box at the RAH, the seats are free, there are only 40 of us in my office and there are normally loads of spare Prom tickets going. Generally not for the last night, but for the bulk of the other concerts. I'm embarrassed to say that although we're going to see Swan Lake on Saturday, I haven't booked any prom tickets yet. I'll do so and then maybe I can meet you for that ice-cream....although we're normally found swigging our own bottles of wine in the box (strictly not allowed).

tangarine Mon 11-Jun-07 22:08:10

Issy,

It sounds like you should be giving us the directions to your box rather than you slipping out for ice-cream!

hectorthepuppy Mon 11-Jun-07 22:30:22

We are planning to go to the proms in the park in London with our 4 children this year.

I took my daughters last year with my mum and they loved it and have persaded dh to come this year with the boys aswell.

Not sure what the line up is this year though.

jura Tue 12-Jun-07 08:39:01

Crotchety Tue 12-Jun-07 18:38:15

I'll probably be at the Blue Peter. Which day?

jura Tue 12-Jun-07 18:39:40

jura Sat 14-Jul-07 01:52:59

TheDuchessDeMimsyNorkington Sat 14-Jul-07 02:22:42

Agree box catering at RAH is over-priced. Although on very hot evenings there is nothing I wouldn't pay for the bucket of ice!

A 290-strong choir is awesome.

Although my best ever Proms were Holst's Planets [highly unfashionable!] because the choir were still singing as they left at the end so the voices just tailed away... and I went to a late night one just to hear Barber's Adagio. It made me weep!

Not going at all this year. Boo hoo.

CalifrauniusFudge Sat 14-Jul-07 02:30:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now