Talk

Advanced search

If you went to Swan Lake and the sight lines were so bad you could not see the 32 fouettés...

(13 Posts)
StoneColdDiva Sun 11-Feb-18 21:07:57

Would you complain to the theatre?
Went to a matinee with two DdS today at a brand new theatre complex where the sight lines were appalling.
Dd2 said after Act 1 "I don't think we will be able to see the 32 fouettés".not because we had poo seats / behind a pillar, just the performance was very far back on the stage and obscured by the wings. I reassured her, but I was wrong!
We saw about 8 fouettés as the dancer was all over the stage.

Did not complain but wanted to. DH said - in a supportive way - we should write a letter of complaint but I am not sure if this is unreasonable.

StoneColdDiva Mon 12-Feb-18 07:32:13

No ballet fans around?

Kerberos Mon 12-Feb-18 07:35:01

I would definitely complain.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Feb-18 07:39:06

Hmm. So nothing indicated poor sight lines when you bought the tickets? If it’s newly constructed I wonder if how ballet would be viewed on the stage hasn’t been considered well enough. I might send an email, they might not be aware there’s an issue.

ShowMeTheElf Mon 12-Feb-18 07:39:27

Seat pricing is usually based on visibility. If you were in budget seats there isn't much you can do. It does sound as if the choreography was weak if the pivotal points were far in the wings though, so it may be a direction issue rather than the theatre per se.
Was it a travelling production or was it stage set for that theatre? That would inform how I handled the issue.

mumonashoestring Mon 12-Feb-18 07:42:46

I'm guessing you weren't warned about poor visibility when you booked/paid? Our local theatres have 'markers' on seats where you can't see the stage clearly - generally they're the slightly cheaper ones (and often the only ones left for popular shows!). This sounds more like poor planning/stage management though. I'd complain if for no other reason than to point out that they need to actually look at rehearsals from the patrons' point of view, not just stick the performers at the back of the stage and hope for the best. I mean, they can't have been that worried about them falling off grin

hesterton Mon 12-Feb-18 07:43:23

She said it wasn't because of 'poo' seats. I assume that means not cheap seats.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Mon 12-Feb-18 07:49:14

Yes, I would complain. Most theatres are explicit about which seats have restricted views, and if yours weren’t marked I would be complaining. The 32 fouettés are a bit of a highlight of Swan Lake so missing them is not on. Also, I’m sure the artists would be disappointed to know their audience couldn’t see them!

StoneColdDiva Mon 12-Feb-18 13:58:32

I agree that sometimes poor seats are sold more cheaply and come with a warning.

This theatre is a new build and has no warnings at all.

The tickets were mid range (EUR 35). Not the most expensive ones but certainly not the 8 quid standing one you get at the Royal Opera House in the upper slips!

hesterton Mon 12-Feb-18 14:57:26

Oh poo was a typo for poor. I should have realised... Sorry!

StoneColdDiva Mon 12-Feb-18 15:22:55

No totally my fault. Fat fingers.

endehors Tue 20-Feb-18 13:36:57

We saw about 8 fouettés as the dancer was all over the stage.

Well that doesn't sound good does it? They shouldn't be 'all over' the stage really doing the 32 fouettés

FrannyAndZooeyGlass Tue 20-Feb-18 22:55:01

My point exactly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now