Talk

Advanced search

Support group for people who did NOT enjoy Hamilton

(75 Posts)
ArgosTheDog Sat 03-Feb-18 22:32:52

I left in the interval. Says it all really.

Granted, it was slick and professional. But I felt that was the only thing going for it really.

The music was instantly forgettable.
Much of the 'humour' was just groan-inducing.
The plot was thin.
I'm sure I recognised many of the lyrics from the inside of Clinton's cards.

Cismyfatarse Mon 19-Feb-18 23:26:59

Saw it tonight!!! Superb. Sorry.

GinIsIn Mon 19-Feb-18 23:32:11

Did you definitely go to the right show...?!

Bea Tue 20-Feb-18 12:03:31

I have to decline your offer... saw it two weeks ago! grin

It is splendiforous!

ArgosTheDog Tue 20-Feb-18 13:31:44

@FenellaMaxwellsPony

Yes I did!

oh god...I despair....

tobee Tue 20-Feb-18 13:52:11

I haven't seen it, but Dh has got tickets for his birthday in the autumn. He seemed surprised I don't want to go. But then I have a big difficulty with seeing things people rave on about because they're always going to be somewhat of a let down. I'm also fussy about musicals altogether.

ArgosTheDog Tue 11-Sep-18 21:22:43

Just thought I'd check in to see if I had any more joiners to my support group?

TammyTwoSawnson Tue 11-Sep-18 21:25:29

Nope. Saw Hamilton last week and it was amazing! You shouldn't have left half way through.

ArgosTheDog Tue 11-Sep-18 21:49:40

Damn. Anyone else?

BevBrook Tue 11-Sep-18 21:52:08

I’m going in Feb. I can’t believe you think the songs are forgettable, my whole family sings them constantly including DH who professes to be deeply bored by musicals so presumably is doing it without realising.

ClosestThingToCrazy Sun 23-Sep-18 00:35:18

I saw it in July and it was fine. I don't remember any of the songs and found it difficult to hear the words in the mix. I went wanting to love it (as all my friends do) but just didn't. I know lot of musicals and there are so many better ones out there, in my opinion. Saw a rap version of Othello 6 years ago at the Edinburgh fringe and it was so much more engaging. And only 1 hour 15...

Mamaryllis Sun 23-Sep-18 00:47:38

Haven’t seen it. Did spend an hour once asking an over-enthusiastic 14yo girl what made her think a musical celebrating an adulterous shitbag who got his own son killed in a duel because he had to defend his appalling father’s reputation was so great, though.
I have to say I have no desire to big up his reputation by seeing a musical about him. Hideous man.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 07:37:57

My grandson has asked for a pair of tickets as xmas present. Can it really be worth £150 for two? I'm finding the money is sticking to my fingers . ..

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 07:45:33

Im afraid OP, you dont have the votes! Might help if you had George Washington behind you, or you could just wait for it and see if the world turned upside down. Must burn I still want to be in the room where it happens....winkwinkwink

hamandpease Thu 08-Nov-18 07:59:09

@longwayoff please read the t&cs re tickets before you buy (unless you're going too!)

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 08:01:24

@Mamaryllis i do think there us a danger of applying modern standards to historical situation. What Hamilton did was very wrong certainly by our standards. However Elizabeth Hamilton/Schyler considered herself to have had a very successful happy marriage regardless of this blip. Duelling was really very common place and expected, most didn't end in death. It's very alien to the modern mind though

The fact is for all his faults Hamilton achieved a truly incredible amount. Him and the people around him at the time were literally world building at a time of incredible change despite them themselves being flawed. When you start investigating the other Hamilton characters you end up finding out all sorts.

I think that's part of the skill of the musical it presents the massive extent of Hamilton's triumphs without whitewashing his faults.

Trills Thu 08-Nov-18 08:06:50

adulterous shitbag who got his own son killed in a duel because he had to defend his appalling father’s reputation

A person who was wholly "good" and who never made any mistakes would make for a worse musical, not a better one.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 08:14:09

Thanks ham, I have noted the fiendishly complicated ticket ID thing, just adds to my reluctance. However, its my grandson and I love him, so will probably give him the money (ouch) to buy with his own card. No wish to see it myself fortunately.

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 08:59:19

@longwayoff
Have a look with your grandson at seat monkey website here Its worth waiting for a ticket release because from what ive heard, and if you can get them, some cheap seats actually have decent views.

We nearly ended up down that route so i was looking at about 150 for 3 tickets front row or nearly in one of the circles. but then i was discussing disabled access and it turns out their disabled access scheme is phenomenally generous.shockshockshock

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 10:07:47

O thank you greeneggs, I shall definitely do that.

JemAppelleLafayette Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:11

Longwayoff I went to see it for £32.50 and we were sat in the very back row with seats right to the side, literally the worst seats in the house. We still had a great view and missed very very little.

And I love it, hence the username grin

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:23

The cheap seats do go quick. I missed one ticket release by 24 hours and the cheap weekend seats had gone. I waiting for the next one whem i found out about the disability scheme anyway.

The longer ahead you can book and if you dont need matinee or weekend there's much more flexibility. Tickets go down to about £30 from memory, but the best cheap seats were about £50. If you can stretch to £75 there was quite a lot of choice

OnceUponATimeInAmerica Thu 08-Nov-18 10:21:25

@ArgosTheDog I reckon I am the second member of your club. We went in May and I really didn't rate it. It was novel, it was slick. But it was dull. The history just didn't resonate for me.

I had been so looking forward to it, to then find myself struggling to stay awake was a bit of a surprise.

Didn't help that David fucking Cameron was there that evening with a bunch of his cronies.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 11:28:32

thanks for advice everyone, hopefully can bring ticket price down a bit. Glad nearly everyone had a good time.

Oldgranny Thu 08-Nov-18 13:53:03

Who are (is) Hamilton?
(Asks an old Granny)

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 14:24:41

Hamilton was an immigrant who fought (in some style) in the American war of independence before going on the become the first treasury secretary. On the way he became a prolific political writer, created the American coast guard, created the first national bank, wrote a significant proportion of Washington's retirement proclamation, established the New York Post and built a successful legal career that included successfully taking on few "hopeless" cases that many wouldn't have touched with a barge pole .

He also cheated on his wife and told the world about it to avoid corruption allegations, and was a firm believer in duels and died in one. (Where he was shot by the then deputy president!!).

Hamilton the musical is a rather innovative and very successful retelling of his life using rap The musical itself also broke quite a few records. It's the most nominated musical in Tony history and the first to charge £150 a ticket (and still sell out). Although as i mentioned above it has one if not the of the most affordable disability tickets im the west end , and Lin-Manuel Miranda deliberately picks his theatres so the cheap seats get a decent show (Although thst doesn't make as shocking headlines as £150 a head tickets).

I might be a fan. No idea what I'm doing on this thread blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »