Talk

Advanced search

Support group for people who did NOT enjoy Hamilton

(78 Posts)
ArgosTheDog Sat 03-Feb-18 22:32:52

I left in the interval. Says it all really.

Granted, it was slick and professional. But I felt that was the only thing going for it really.

The music was instantly forgettable.
Much of the 'humour' was just groan-inducing.
The plot was thin.
I'm sure I recognised many of the lyrics from the inside of Clinton's cards.

ArgosTheDog Sun 04-Feb-18 09:00:30

Am I really the only person in Le Tout UK who didn't enjoy Hamilton?? shock

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 04-Feb-18 09:01:04

grin

HesMyLobster Sun 04-Feb-18 09:02:12

Yep

10FingersOnTheFender Sun 04-Feb-18 09:07:11

Bloody hell. I am totally at a loss

ArgosTheDog Sun 04-Feb-18 12:43:04

Hello...is there anybody out there? There must be someone who feels the same way!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:06:16

I've just bought tickets OP, I'll let you know if I'm joining your support group in November grin

ArgosTheDog Sun 04-Feb-18 15:34:43

Thank you @ThroughThickAndThin01 I do hope, for your sake, that you do enjoy it...much as I would like company in my 'support group'.

I might have to bump my post every day till I find a friend

Abra1de Sun 04-Feb-18 15:35:56

I’ve heard the standing ovations after almost every number are a pain.

MakeLemonade Sun 04-Feb-18 15:38:19

Whaaaat?! Literally the only person I’ve heard of that didn’t enjoy it. You should have stayed for the second act, it’s where a lot of the depth of the show happens.

Teufelsrad Sun 04-Feb-18 15:41:30

I haven't seen it but I hated the soundtrack and the clips I watched on YT if that counts. I'm sure we can't be alone.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 04-Feb-18 15:46:47

You are crazy... ‘the plot was thin’ hmm

It’s a true retelling of someone’s (incredible!) life, would you have liked them to add in a few extra plot twists?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 04-Feb-18 15:47:38

I absolutely loved it and have already booked to go back with three separate groups of people in march, June and October!

ArgosTheDog Sun 04-Feb-18 15:55:44

It’s a true retelling of someone’s (incredible!) life, would you have liked them to add in a few extra plot twists?

Just because someone had an interesting life and was of historical significance does not necessarily mean that the re-telling of that life in an artistic medium (as opposed to a faithful biography or work of history) is well done and interesting!

Interesting life does not = decent play/book whatever

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 04-Feb-18 16:03:39

It does in this instance wink

Abra1de Sun 04-Feb-18 16:05:56

I sometimes mentor and critique self-published or aspirant traditionally published writers and the first thing we have to get over sometimes is that ‘based on a true story’ doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a premise for a novel.

I haven’t seen Hamilton, though, and would like to.

ArgosTheDog Sun 04-Feb-18 16:39:52

I’ve heard the standing ovations after almost every number are a pain.

Absolutely. When I went, it was just considerable applause, not standing ovations. Nonetheless, it was super irritating. You were constantly reminded of your true surroundings.....it was impossible to get 'lost' in the performance.

mtpaektu Sun 04-Feb-18 16:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArgosTheDog Sun 11-Feb-18 18:01:15

Just checking in to see if I've got any more people wanting to join my support group wink

CamberGirl Sun 11-Feb-18 18:06:37

Just googled it. Oppps, I thought it was a musical about Lewis Hamilton. I did think that was a bit odd!

PhilODox Sun 11-Feb-18 18:09:37

No more odd than any number of v popular musicals!
A F1 musical is obviously a gap in the market... Nicole Scherzinger could play herself!

ArgosTheDog Sun 11-Feb-18 20:30:05

So....no one who's -lost a couple of hours of their life to this musical- seen it in the last few days up for joining me??

OldUggBoot Tue 13-Feb-18 13:36:32

HesMyLobster Wed 14-Feb-18 13:57:09

Saw it last night.
It's outstanding. The energy and passion, not to mention the absolute genius writing.
Desperate to see it again already!

ArgosTheDog Mon 19-Feb-18 23:09:08

Just checking in again to see if I have any new joiners to my club....

Cismyfatarse Mon 19-Feb-18 23:26:59

Saw it tonight!!! Superb. Sorry.

GinIsIn Mon 19-Feb-18 23:32:11

Did you definitely go to the right show...?!

Bea Tue 20-Feb-18 12:03:31

I have to decline your offer... saw it two weeks ago! grin

It is splendiforous!

ArgosTheDog Tue 20-Feb-18 13:31:44

@FenellaMaxwellsPony

Yes I did!

oh god...I despair....

tobee Tue 20-Feb-18 13:52:11

I haven't seen it, but Dh has got tickets for his birthday in the autumn. He seemed surprised I don't want to go. But then I have a big difficulty with seeing things people rave on about because they're always going to be somewhat of a let down. I'm also fussy about musicals altogether.

ArgosTheDog Tue 11-Sep-18 21:22:43

Just thought I'd check in to see if I had any more joiners to my support group?

TammyTwoSawnson Tue 11-Sep-18 21:25:29

Nope. Saw Hamilton last week and it was amazing! You shouldn't have left half way through.

ArgosTheDog Tue 11-Sep-18 21:49:40

Damn. Anyone else?

BevBrook Tue 11-Sep-18 21:52:08

I’m going in Feb. I can’t believe you think the songs are forgettable, my whole family sings them constantly including DH who professes to be deeply bored by musicals so presumably is doing it without realising.

ClosestThingToCrazy Sun 23-Sep-18 00:35:18

I saw it in July and it was fine. I don't remember any of the songs and found it difficult to hear the words in the mix. I went wanting to love it (as all my friends do) but just didn't. I know lot of musicals and there are so many better ones out there, in my opinion. Saw a rap version of Othello 6 years ago at the Edinburgh fringe and it was so much more engaging. And only 1 hour 15...

Mamaryllis Sun 23-Sep-18 00:47:38

Haven’t seen it. Did spend an hour once asking an over-enthusiastic 14yo girl what made her think a musical celebrating an adulterous shitbag who got his own son killed in a duel because he had to defend his appalling father’s reputation was so great, though.
I have to say I have no desire to big up his reputation by seeing a musical about him. Hideous man.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 07:37:57

My grandson has asked for a pair of tickets as xmas present. Can it really be worth £150 for two? I'm finding the money is sticking to my fingers . ..

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 07:45:33

Im afraid OP, you dont have the votes! Might help if you had George Washington behind you, or you could just wait for it and see if the world turned upside down. Must burn I still want to be in the room where it happens....winkwinkwink

hamandpease Thu 08-Nov-18 07:59:09

@longwayoff please read the t&cs re tickets before you buy (unless you're going too!)

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 08:01:24

@Mamaryllis i do think there us a danger of applying modern standards to historical situation. What Hamilton did was very wrong certainly by our standards. However Elizabeth Hamilton/Schyler considered herself to have had a very successful happy marriage regardless of this blip. Duelling was really very common place and expected, most didn't end in death. It's very alien to the modern mind though

The fact is for all his faults Hamilton achieved a truly incredible amount. Him and the people around him at the time were literally world building at a time of incredible change despite them themselves being flawed. When you start investigating the other Hamilton characters you end up finding out all sorts.

I think that's part of the skill of the musical it presents the massive extent of Hamilton's triumphs without whitewashing his faults.

Trills Thu 08-Nov-18 08:06:50

adulterous shitbag who got his own son killed in a duel because he had to defend his appalling father’s reputation

A person who was wholly "good" and who never made any mistakes would make for a worse musical, not a better one.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 08:14:09

Thanks ham, I have noted the fiendishly complicated ticket ID thing, just adds to my reluctance. However, its my grandson and I love him, so will probably give him the money (ouch) to buy with his own card. No wish to see it myself fortunately.

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 08:59:19

@longwayoff
Have a look with your grandson at seat monkey website here Its worth waiting for a ticket release because from what ive heard, and if you can get them, some cheap seats actually have decent views.

We nearly ended up down that route so i was looking at about 150 for 3 tickets front row or nearly in one of the circles. but then i was discussing disabled access and it turns out their disabled access scheme is phenomenally generous.shockshockshock

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 10:07:47

O thank you greeneggs, I shall definitely do that.

JemAppelleLafayette Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:11

Longwayoff I went to see it for £32.50 and we were sat in the very back row with seats right to the side, literally the worst seats in the house. We still had a great view and missed very very little.

And I love it, hence the username grin

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 10:15:23

The cheap seats do go quick. I missed one ticket release by 24 hours and the cheap weekend seats had gone. I waiting for the next one whem i found out about the disability scheme anyway.

The longer ahead you can book and if you dont need matinee or weekend there's much more flexibility. Tickets go down to about £30 from memory, but the best cheap seats were about £50. If you can stretch to £75 there was quite a lot of choice

OnceUponATimeInAmerica Thu 08-Nov-18 10:21:25

@ArgosTheDog I reckon I am the second member of your club. We went in May and I really didn't rate it. It was novel, it was slick. But it was dull. The history just didn't resonate for me.

I had been so looking forward to it, to then find myself struggling to stay awake was a bit of a surprise.

Didn't help that David fucking Cameron was there that evening with a bunch of his cronies.

longwayoff Thu 08-Nov-18 11:28:32

thanks for advice everyone, hopefully can bring ticket price down a bit. Glad nearly everyone had a good time.

Oldgranny Thu 08-Nov-18 13:53:03

Who are (is) Hamilton?
(Asks an old Granny)

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 14:24:41

Hamilton was an immigrant who fought (in some style) in the American war of independence before going on the become the first treasury secretary. On the way he became a prolific political writer, created the American coast guard, created the first national bank, wrote a significant proportion of Washington's retirement proclamation, established the New York Post and built a successful legal career that included successfully taking on few "hopeless" cases that many wouldn't have touched with a barge pole .

He also cheated on his wife and told the world about it to avoid corruption allegations, and was a firm believer in duels and died in one. (Where he was shot by the then deputy president!!).

Hamilton the musical is a rather innovative and very successful retelling of his life using rap The musical itself also broke quite a few records. It's the most nominated musical in Tony history and the first to charge £150 a ticket (and still sell out). Although as i mentioned above it has one if not the of the most affordable disability tickets im the west end , and Lin-Manuel Miranda deliberately picks his theatres so the cheap seats get a decent show (Although thst doesn't make as shocking headlines as £150 a head tickets).

I might be a fan. No idea what I'm doing on this thread blush

AlexanderHamilton Thu 08-Nov-18 14:30:21

It also has completely colour blind casting which when it first came out was a huge innovation.

GreenEggsHamandChips Thu 08-Nov-18 14:49:44

Oh yes I forgot that! I loves Chernow's comments when I first saw the cast!! We forget how groundbreaking that was

Oldgranny Thu 08-Nov-18 19:15:22

Very interesting thanks

fernandoanddenise Thu 08-Nov-18 19:25:32

Saw Hamilton last week!
Did not enjoy it at all! Found the music skilful but forgettable.
the performances (apart from Eliza and to be honest Hamilton!) were fantastic! Especially Angelica and Washington.
I just found it hard to connect with. I didn’t feel engaged or have rapport with the story or characters - the sycophantic fans didn’t help. It didn’t move me, I didn’t feel transported which is how I feel when I really enjoy a theatrical experience. TBH I felt uncomfortable in my expensive but crap seat (with a tall man in front so no ones fault) and was just totally ‘meh’ about the whole thing!
OP! I’m with you!

greenlanes Thu 08-Nov-18 20:09:53

Like some pp i am wary of hype so so far have not even bothered to book. I find a lot of new musicals just dreadful. eg I was not that impressed by Matilda. I did take my dc to see Harry Potter and CC 18 months ago. I really cant remember very much whereas I can sing (badly and out of tune) pretty much any musical number from the 70s and 80s and 90s. Is that my age? Possibly. But I do think some of these modern musicals are not very good and because people are paying such silly prices they would rather die than admit that.

janisposh Thu 08-Nov-18 20:15:35

But I do think some of these modern musicals are not very good and because people are paying such silly prices they would rather die than admit that.

Hmmm. I paid £37.50 for seats in the grand circle. Then I paid £100 for stall seats.

greenlanes Thu 08-Nov-18 20:20:25

Each?

janisposh Thu 08-Nov-18 20:25:58

Yes, each.

janisposh Thu 08-Nov-18 20:26:54

My point was I'm not lying about enjoying the show. I had cheap tickets initially. If it was shit I would have said it was shit. It wasn't shit so I bought some stall tickets.

PeridotCricket Mon 12-Nov-18 23:41:33

I admired it as a performance. But didn’t particularly enjoy it, couldn’t hum a single number, found a lot of it dull.

pallisers Tue 13-Nov-18 00:52:25

janisposh Tue 13-Nov-18 06:44:02

Your friend should do something about their sleep problem. Even if you don't enjoy a show it is a bit strange not to be able to stay awake.

GreenEggsHamandChips Tue 13-Nov-18 06:46:29

I do agree about the female characters. Often not even accurate to the history

polyhymnia Sat 08-Dec-18 13:47:03

Argos, you have another supporter. My husband greatly disliked it and also wanted to leave at interval. I persuaded him we should stay, despite being lukewarm myself, as had spent a fortune on tickets and wanted to see if it improved. The story and characters on which it’s based are undeniably fascinating though.

Talith Sat 08-Dec-18 13:50:58

I watched a few clips on YouTube trying to see if i looked worth it, or if I'd like it, and it really didn't grab me enough.

So I'd side with you OP but in fairness YouTube isn't the same as watching the whole performance! grin

NotCitrus Sat 08-Dec-18 14:27:46

I enjoyed it but don't think it's the best musical ever, and the staging wasn't interesting. The lyrics made it, really - lots of people round me said they were glad they'd come to the captioned performance or they'd have missed a lot of it.

Iamism Sat 08-Dec-18 14:37:18

Have read this with interest. I don't believe anything so hypoed can be that great.

cortex10 Sat 08-Dec-18 14:44:19

We had fantastic seats and I really wanted to enjoy it - but was left feeling quite flat. It was lively and fresh but not stunning.

AgnesNaismith Fri 08-Mar-19 14:20:18

Signing up for the support group....

I found the whole thing uninspiring and fell asleep in act 2. The only part of it I can recall is Hamilton singing ‘Elizaaaaaaa’ in a weird 90s MN8 RNB way over and over again. As a lover of hip hop, R&B and soul I really thought it’d be the one for me.......but it wasn’t.

Also....he gave his son the gun??? Wtf?

WitchesGlove Sun 09-Jun-19 14:39:41

I also didn’t like it, I didn’t particularly like the main character and think he was heroic.

Faultymain5 Mon 10-Jun-19 11:31:38

I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it. I did however remember the songs from it. The second song is a rap and I hate rap. Couldn't believe I could understand it. I didn't like the Schuyler sisters songs the first time round, but noted they were tyring to get a girl group vibe, the second time. I didn't hate it enough not to see it again, but I also think you have to go with the right people.

We had a box the first time, but the view was slightly restricted. Sat in the circle the second time and had a great view.

Would go again and I even have the soundtrack that I'm currently listening to. I'm fascinated by early USA History though, but you normally hear about George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Not the most upstanding of men themselves, but still achieved a lot.

I felt Harry Potter was hyped out of all proportion, it grew on me once I stopped being contrary for the sake of being contrary (as my old boss put it).

BubblesBuddy Tue 11-Jun-19 23:45:31

If you like American Revolution history, I can highly recommend a holiday in Philadelphia, Virginia and Maryland. It’s better than Hamilton!

Earlybird Fri 21-Jun-19 22:26:06

Reviving this old thread, as we plan to see Hamilton in a few weeks for the second time.

I think, in order to follow the storyline and catch the nuances of lyric and character, you must be very familiar with the music before you go. The rap lyrics are very clever, but you'd not understand / follow much if you attended the show without knowing what you are listening to.

I think if you went to the show 'cold', you wouldn't enjoy it. If you go knowing songs / lyrics in advance, you 'll enjoy it tremendously.

lsimpson1990 Tue 16-Jul-19 01:14:56

Never seen it, I would really love to though? I’ve never heard of someone not liking it!

Rowenaravenclawsdiadem Mon 26-Aug-19 20:11:44

I’ve seen it twice. The first time I couldn’t wait for it to be over. I actually asked the woman next
to me if she had any clue what was going on.
She didn’t.

Dd2 was desperate to see it so the second time I went I understood it better and enjoyed it more.

underneaththeash Sat 21-Sep-19 22:32:45

I wasn’t overly enamoured. We had bad (though expensive seats). I thought it was creatively different to other musicals.
I did also see “Lewis” Hamilton at the Edinburgh Festival last year and that was much more fun.

Dusty01 Sun 22-Sep-19 23:37:33

I think it's definitely the new Emperor's New Clothes. Clever marketing makes it exclusive/expensive and well-hyped. It's an ingenious piece of trickery.

ConfusedAndStressed95 Tue 24-Sep-19 01:58:40

I don't care for it. I think its overrated and unnecessary, I dislike the music style and I really don't care for the subject.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »