Talk

Advanced search

What next after The Nutcracker?

(7 Posts)
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sun 17-Dec-17 21:43:50

My daughter really loves the Nutcracker. She's seen the ballet a few times online, has had the books read to her, and we regularly listen/ have a home disco to the music.
What next? What other ballets can I introduce her to, that have the same lively vibe/engaging story?

Plumpcious Mon 08-Jan-18 17:36:27

Sleeping Beauty (music also by Tchaikovsky so in the same vein as Nutcracker).

Ditto Swan Lake although the storyline might not be as engaging for a young child.

That's it really. There's also Cinderella but I think it's a bit boring. Mind you I think Nutcracker is boring so what would I know! Definitely not as sparkly though.

EmilyAlice Mon 08-Jan-18 17:42:25

La Fille Mal Gardée is fabulous. Dancing chickens, the clog dance, ribbons and a happy ending. 😊

fuzzywuzzy Mon 08-Jan-18 17:44:31

How old is your dd?

The peacock theatre usually have a ‘my first ballet’ production in spring have a look it’s fun, not too long and narrated so keeps younger children engaged.

owthathurts Mon 08-Jan-18 17:49:38

I was going to suggest La fille mal garde. My favourite ballet of all times, although the last time we saw it we were a bit disappointed as they didn't have a chickens ( just a chicken shed that blew a few feathers out) Think it was a Russian performance.

Marv1nGay3 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:02:48

Fille is a good suggestion! Also Coppelia, La Sylphide, Giselle
Les Sylphides, Bayadere... all the classics, really.

AnneOfCleavage Mon 08-Jan-18 18:17:10

Coppelia is a great Ballet for children. Great costumes and fairly easy story to follow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »