Talk

Advanced search

Battle of Hasting re-enactment - anyone been?

(13 Posts)
lolacola1977 Mon 02-Oct-17 11:35:50

We are thinking of taking DCs to this for the anniversary weekend in a couple of weeks...both aged 3 and 6 keep asking about it (school topic a couple of weeks ago) and it sounds fun...BUT my 6 YO is v. sensitive to noise etc and finds birthday parties v. difficult, I would usually avoid something like this, but given they are both interested, I wondered whether it's worth trying...? Would be grateful to hear anyone's thoughts esp if you have a child with sensory difficulties - thank you!

DiggyDiggyHole Mon 02-Oct-17 11:58:10

It’s a big area, lots of space. No guns or cannons. One of the quieter reenactments I’ve been to.

lolacola1977 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:27:56

OK, thanks, that's good to know, I have been to the town as an adult (before children!) and really enjoyed it, I suspect this would be one the kids would enjoy...is there an easy vantage point do you know? Do people sit / stand and watch?

AlbusPercival Mon 02-Oct-17 12:35:25

DH is fighting there so we will be there smile

lolacola1977 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:41:32

oooh, exciting - would you take kids?

AlbusPercival Mon 02-Oct-17 13:17:47

Definitely. DS is one, so not bothered but older kids love it.

If you have any sensitive ones though maybe prepare them that they are playing/ acting and not really dead.

DiggyDiggyHole Mon 02-Oct-17 13:25:34

There are clips on YouTube, have a google.

lolacola1977 Mon 02-Oct-17 14:13:24

Thanks - just had a look on youtube, it looks amazing! I think they COULD be really taken with it...good idea to prep them on the dead-thing...I might ring English Heritage and just see if they have any recommendations as well...thanks so much for responses - I am really excited!

DiggyDiggyHole Mon 02-Oct-17 14:20:07

Tmine liked it when they were younger, DS and I still go as adults. Take waterproofs though, no shelter if it rains!

AlbusPercival Mon 02-Oct-17 14:37:23

I have been to some of DH smaller reenactment as a hostage or similar and a little girl screamed when I had my throat cut and the group children came to cry over my corpse

confusedblushgrin

kingjofferyworksintescos Mon 02-Oct-17 19:24:52

I've been to the reenactment for the past few years and it's a great day out for all the family. As well as the actual battle, there's loads going throughout the day. They've got a Norman and a Saxon camp, displays of the weaponry and horses, falconry and activities for kids.

For watching the battle itself it's standing, although camp chairs are fine. It can get a bit noisy with lots of shouting and cheering from the crowd. The best place to watch it is from either side of the 'arena' rather than the top of the hill because there you only get a view of the back of the Saxon army.

Probably best to get your tickets before hand as last year it was sold out. Also if you're a member of English Heritage there's a big discount.

lolacola1977 Tue 03-Oct-17 10:38:18

That is really helpful - thank you so much, mumsnet at its best! I watched the video last night again, I was v. excited, DCs less so - they were mainly fixated on whether anyone was actually going to die and seemed mildly disappointed that the answer was no. Good call on the tickets, it's a lovely part of the world, so if they end up being less than enthusiastic about the battle part, we can look elsewhere....

AlbusPercival Tue 03-Oct-17 13:58:30

To be fair the sell out last year was
Mostly down to the 950 anniversary. I don't think this year will be as bad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »