Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

*****************BEETROOT*******or anyone else cultured**********TREVOR NUNN********************

(14 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Feb-07 23:31:49

Do you or anyone know if we went to see King Lear directed by Trevor Nunn

Would it be traditional?

We want to go to see it RSC production with Ian McKellen BUT I want to see a traditional production ie in original costume and language

IYSWIM

What do you think?

Thanks

RTKangaMummy Sun 25-Feb-07 23:35:02

I want to take DS to see King Lear but done properly

Does that make any sense?

Royal Shakespeare Company, directed by Trevor Nunn.

The closing production of The Complete Works Festival is Shakespeare's epic tragedy, King Lear. Directed by former RSC Artistic Director Trevor Nunn and with Ian McKellen in the title role, this production has long been planned as the culmination of their RSC work together on Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and Othello. Playing in repertoire with this production, and opening the Stratford 2007 Season, will be a second play, also directed by Trevor Nunn and performed by the same acting company.

Trevor's last production for the RSC was the double bill of The Blue Angel and Measure For Measure, which reopened The Other Place in 1991. Other recent credits include Hamlet and Richard II at The Old Vic.

Ian McKellen returns to the Company after 15 years. Meanwhile he has played Widow Twanky, visited Coronation Street and filmed The Da Vinci Code, Gods and Monsters, Richard III and two trilogies – X-Men and The Lord of the Rings.

King Lear runs in repertoire at The Courtyard Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon from 24 March - 21 June 2007.

jura Sun 25-Feb-07 23:48:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 00:14:12

Thanks

He is 11 years {nearly 12}

He absolutely loves the theatre

He did Henry V as part of Shakespeare Festival a few weeks ago

oops Mon 26-Feb-07 00:16:05

Message withdrawn

SherlockLGJ Mon 26-Feb-07 00:16:26

Have e-mailed Beety with this link.

RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 00:19:25

hello OOOOPS RL took over for a while

I have to go to bed too

Thanks LGJ

ediemay Mon 26-Feb-07 00:39:30

Dear RTKM, I have seen a couple of publicity photos which show Ian M in a modern suit & tie, so I'm not sure that you would get what you are looking for. Trevor Nunn isn't usually very controversial, (he is usually criticised for being too commercial if anything), and he is known for concentrating on the strength of the original text.

I would suggest that you ring either the Education office or the Press office at the RSC for some advice, they are both very helpful and friendly.

If your son hasn't seen Lear before, he might find the blinding scene very upsetting. It's great to hear of a boy his age loving the theatre, by the way.

alipiggie Mon 26-Feb-07 00:55:25

Well I'd go if it's Stratford and I Mckellen as Lear would be fabulous. I do so miss going. My Mum used to an associate member and we went to see everything. It's bound to be fabulous even if not traditional costume.

Beetrootccio Mon 26-Feb-07 08:06:41

I can find out for you

It is unusual these days to see Shakespeare in traditonal costume. It does not take away from the language or the story to do it in modern dress. With Ian playing Lear it should be great.

11 years old is very long to sit through 4 hours of Shakespeare - mine are seasoned goers and I am not sure I woudl do it. However, if you do, make sure he knows the story really well and maybe talk through a cuple of the big scens with him so that when he gets there it will be familiar to him - The heath scene for example. and trhe whole beginning with the children.

Good LUck - I am trying to get tickets to Merchant of venice up there as ds1 has been studying it.

Beetrootccio Mon 26-Feb-07 08:13:31

BTW - my guess is that it will be flash!

RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 12:42:40

Thanks guys

DS has got a copy of King Lear with extra guidance notes etc

Yes we will deffo make sure he knows the play/story inside out

If it gets too much and too long we can always leave in the interval but if he understands the plot and characters and is enthralled by it hopefully he will enjoy it

I would hate to think we would put him off Shakespeare

I guess if we are expecting suit and trousers then it will be ok

iyswim

RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 12:46:58

Beety What do you mean Flash?

<< dim emotion >>

I am glad that Nunn is probably going to leave it in original language

Beetrootccio Mon 26-Feb-07 15:52:17

Trevor is known for being flash - he does alot of big musicals etc, so my guess is that you will get a fab set etc. Athough I do know they are touring it which will mean it may not be the usual all singing and dancing show that trevor ususally puts on.

Are you sure it is not sold out btw?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now