Talk

Advanced search

Outlet for Shakespeare fans?

(5 Posts)
Bavmorda Wed 21-Jan-15 19:27:28

I'd really like to get back into Shakespeare - I loved it at school and sixth form but neglected it afterwards for various reasons.

A cousin has just called her daughter Ophelia and I ended up YouTubing Hamlet and it reminded me how much I love the language. Aside from reading the plays alone (which my A-level teacher advised us not to do as they're "easily misinterpreted") does anyone know of any organisations for Shakespeare fans? I suppose I'm looking for something structured-ish like a kind of Shakespeare book club or something with occasional meet-ups. Something online would be OK.

Feels like a far fetched enquiry but I thought this the best place to start!

beachyhead Wed 21-Jan-15 19:33:39

I have no idea but I'd like to join smile I'm working my way through the plays at the moment and seeing as many as I can. I think you can read them on your own - I discovered the Sparks Notes when my dd1 was doing GCSE and they are pretty good at giving the basics of each character and even each scene if you fancy a bit of guidance....

Maybe rotate Comedy, Tragedy then History.....

Bavmorda Wed 21-Jan-15 19:54:40

Hi! I'm definitely going to have to see more plays. Will be alone though as DH thinks it's "pretentious rubbish"!

I posted the same question in Chat and someone mentioned a free online course with Futurelearn - apparently they're doing Hamlet atm. Am about to Google. Otherwise from a bit more Googling GoodReads have a Shakespeare forum where they read and discuss a play a month. This month Othello, next month Twelfth Night...

beachyhead Wed 21-Jan-15 22:20:10

I always go alone to plays... Much better... If I want dh to go, it has to be a musical.

I'll look at that forum, thanks.

MandMand Wed 21-Jan-15 22:26:24

There are some great free online Shakespeare courses available via the FutureLearn website if you want to get back into reading/watching the plays. A Hamlet one has just started this week, and I think Measure for Measure is starting soon too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: