Talk

Advanced search

any ideas for poems that appeal to the five senses and...

(4 Posts)
lirael Sat 15-Feb-14 11:23:32

...would be suitable for use with a Sixth form group in a special school, whose ability ranges from P4 - 2A? I have an interview for a deputy headship next week and they've created this group specifically for the teaching task (the students with PMLD are usually taught in a separate group). I know it's because they want to see differentiation so I'm planning to deliver a lesson about poetic imagery using lots of real-life sensory input. The one idea I've had so far for a poem is Eliot's 'Preludes' which I think could work, but wondered if anyone had any ideas for other poems? Everything I've found so far is aimed at much younger children and it has to be age-appropriate.

Have posted this in 'The Staffroom' but thought I'd also throw it out more generally!
TIA

Florizel Sun 16-Feb-14 01:09:35

How about Seamus Heaney's 'Death of a Naturalist': from memory, lots of synaesthesic effects in that I think. Also the theme of maturing is available on so many levels.

For a short one, Christina Rossetti 'A Birthday'? Christian imagery from the Song of Solomon could take you far.

Sounds like a really interesting challenge. Good luck!

Florizel Sun 16-Feb-14 01:15:47

La belle dame? The weather's about right for it...

lirael Sun 16-Feb-14 11:51:15

smile Thanks - will have a think about those. It's only a 30 min lesson so I think I have to make sure the language is fairly straightforward. Would be good to tie in the poem with what's going on outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now