Talk

Advanced search

Les Miserables - suitable for 11yo?

(13 Posts)
HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Fri 31-Jan-14 22:18:26

I'm thinking of taking 11yo dc to Les Mis (the stage show). Is it suitable? Particularly concerned about the part when Fantine becomes a prostitute. In the film that part was very shocking and upsetting. How is it done in the stage show?

webwiz Fri 31-Jan-14 22:20:38

Its not as obvious in the stage version - I would be ok with taking an 11 year old.

AndWhenYouGetThere Fri 31-Jan-14 22:57:54

Yes I'd take an 11 year old. The musical version is nowhere near as shocking as the film in that bit. So long as DC knows whay prostitution is, so they'll follow the plot.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 31-Jan-14 23:07:43

I to

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 31-Jan-14 23:08:40

I took dd when she was 10 & ds when he was 7. It's fine.

Dd is now 12 & still won't watch the film.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 31-Jan-14 23:09:05

Sorry ds was 8.

Loveleopardprint Sat 01-Feb-14 19:20:23

I have seen the show and would take my eleven year old. The only slight drawback is that it is a very long musical. I think over two hours so it might be more about her attention span.

Unexpected Wed 05-Feb-14 20:41:21

The running time is 2 hours 50 mins so it is looong. If you think she will be ok with this, then take her. I go to a lot of musicals with my 12 year old but this is one I would be more hesitant about - he is good with things like Wicked (which we saw again last night), Wizard of Oz, Shrek, etc but I think he would still fidget during Les Miz.

LIZS Fri 07-Feb-14 17:34:38

dd is also keen to go . Can anyone advise what the seats on the top level are like, at the front . The website suggest you need to lean forwards.

zoemaguire Fri 07-Feb-14 17:42:03

I went at 7, 30 years ago. One of my most memorable childhood experiences. Prostutute stuff went right over my head, just wanted to be Cosette and sing castle on a cloud!

LIZS Fri 07-Feb-14 17:43:58

just wanted to be Cosette and sing castle on a cloud!

lol I have one like that but {whispers} she's too tall sad

BirdintheWings Fri 07-Feb-14 17:47:12

DD saw the Schools version at age 10 and cried throughout the second half, from the death of Gavroche onwards. Is yours a sensitive flower at all?

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Fri 07-Feb-14 22:17:54

Yes, she is. I've warned her that it is very long, very sad, and that most of the characters die. She is still keen to see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now