Talk

Advanced search

Musicals, the West End, and Theatre! Suggestions please!

(11 Posts)
GreatOrmondSt Tue 28-Sep-10 18:13:05

Hi ladies!

I've decided that this year, I'm going to start being more cultural, and taking the family to the theatre and to some musicals. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be good to go see? FYI, I'm based in London. Thanks!

Amy

LionsnTigersnBears Sun 24-Oct-10 16:01:11

Can't recommend Wicked enough. The best musical running at the moment imo. You don't say how old your kids are, but there are a couple of scary awesome special effects that might be a bit much for little ones, though.

silverfrog Sun 24-Oct-10 16:05:22

Second Wicked. Just brilliant.

The Lion King is incredibly well staged - a true spectacle in every sense.

Haven't really seen much else recently - I too have resolved to see more in the not too distant future!

pinguwings Sun 24-Oct-10 16:15:21

Hmmm...wasn't that impressed with Wicked, amazing effects but script and music definitely needed work.

How old are the kids?

Lion King is fabulous, so is Mary Poppins. If they're older then Billy Elliot is brilliant

GreatOrmondSt Wed 27-Oct-10 12:15:54

Thanks for your responses ladies! Well, my DD aged seven has been pestering me to take her to a show ever since she started rehearsals for the school play . I'd like to take my DS who's five as well to make it a real family day out, although he may be a bit young to sit through a whole show. I may even drag DH along to a musical for date night too!

I've heard some great things about Wicked but wasn't sure that it would be age appropriate? Similar with Hairspray; has anyone seen that? Thanks for the Lion King suggestion; it's definitely on the list!

Amy

annh Mon 08-Nov-10 16:27:20

Hairspray is finished in the West End. Wicked might nmot be the best musical to start with if it's your kids first time. What about something like Oliver (also quite a short musical!) or Stomp, if you don't absolutely want a musical?

GreatOrmondSt Tue 09-Nov-10 12:04:59

Thanks for the advice annh! Oliver would be a great one for DD and DS. Do you know where I could catch a performance of this in London? I think that I've narrowed it down to Oliver and Lion King now.

In the meantime I've also booked us tickets to the Wizard of Oz Charity Gala in February. I can't wait to see Danielle Hope from Over the Rainbow perform as Dorothy and the kids are excited about it too!

Amy.

twirlymum Tue 09-Nov-10 12:09:22

Shrek the Musical will be on at Drury Lane after Oliver comes down. A friends DD has just got the part of young Fiona, so I will def be going to see that.
Wicked is fantastic, but as others have said, might be a bit much for the first time.
I'm seeing The Wizard of Oz in February, can't wait!

GreatOrmondSt Tue 09-Nov-10 12:50:05

Twirlymum - brilliant! The kids would absolutely LOVE Shrek the Musical. Maybe I'll get them tickets to that as a little christmas present ;)

I think that Wicked might be one for myself and DH to go see on our own sometime, or at least we should wait until the kids are older.

Hope you enjoy Wizard of Oz!

Amy

MrsVincentPrice Tue 09-Nov-10 13:22:17

The Hackney Empire panto will be brilliant - it always is.

What? It is theatre!
Oh yes it is!

I'd sign up for the South Bank, Royal Albert Hall and Barbican mailing lists - they have some fantastic one-off family events,
and usually much cheaper than the West End.

GreatOrmondSt Wed 10-Nov-10 15:06:10

Good advice MissVincentPrice. Done!!

Amy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now